Sunday, March 5, 2017

A Week of Homestead Photos February 26th - March 4th

Another busy week is behind us. With spring coming, you can just feel life picking up pace. I can not wait till the ground thaws and I can get my hands dirty in the garden. How many of you are ready for outdoor fun?

Our flock can feel the coming spring as well! Egg production has rampped back up. Even grandma, Ester, has been gracing the nest box with her lovely greenish/blue eggs! I didn't think she was ever going to lay another egg, so I was shocked not only to get one from her, but that she is giving me more then 2 a week.

I've have been busy trying to get a handle on this whole crochet thing. I never thought I would get it, but I'll be danged if it hasn't finally clicked. It IS relaxing to do after all!

So what made me smile this week?


That moment when you open the door to the critter shed and are bombarded by FLYING ducks all up in your grill..... When I finally opened my eyes again, I saw this! Not everyone had made it out. It would seem that some how these nuts have figured out how to get on top of the rabbit pen and have been sleeping in the loose straw!


Buffy and Cinder meet at the window to go over the weather. You see they have been appointed office flock weather girls. After conferring about the frost on the window they decided it might be best if they stay inside for the day. They also filed a grievance about the lack of a heat lamp. I informed them that since the water was frozen, they had a valid issue and so I plugged it in. They are getting way to organized..... And pushy..... They have me way too trained.


We were at it again this weekend.... Making more maple syrup! You would not believe how yummy this stuff smells. I think we have a little over a gallon of finished syrup so far. Can't wait to see how the trees flow this week. This season has been interesting to say the least. Get it together Mother Nature, and let's do this thing!


Aha! I caught you, you naughty little ducks. Remember how I caught them sleeping on top of the rabbit pen? There was more then a little snoozing going on in the loose straw. About time I got a dang duck egg out of those free loaders!


Heidi the homestead hound and I did a feed run and look what Heidi found!!! We were heading to pick out a new treat in the doggy section, but once she heard those peeps, she had to go investigate!


No one really likes going to the dentist, let's be honest. I had to go finish up that root canal that got interrupted a few weeks back, when the school called cause the littlest country kid had a cough. While I may not enjoy the oral torture, I do love the girls in the office! This chick right here..... no matter how much pain I am in, she can always get me to smile, especially when she is rocking some Powerpuff girl glasses!




"What? I've been here the whole time!" Or at least that is Ester's claim. Heidi the homestead hound broke her collar this morning and was loose with the flock. I found poor Buffy IN the drained 4 ft pool the country kids have. I had to fish her out of 6 inches of water. I'll give her credit, there was no way Heidi was gonna get her in there!  
                                                                                           
After a quick head count, I quickly realized Ester was missing. I looked everywhere, took out treats to coax her to come from where ever she was.... nothing. Since there was no blood or feathers I figured she had hopped the fence or was hiding. I kept going out to check every hour..... I checked and check, but no Ester anywhere.     
                                                                                     
I went out just now and there she was sitting in the nest box like nothing had happened. *sigh* Way to stress me out! I'm glad she is okay and where she should be, but did she have to take so long to come out?!?!


By George, I think I've finally got it! So glad I didn't give up.


Goodness it was storming like the Dickens last! I tried to tell Heidi the homestead hound she did not want to go out there, but she insisted. This is her "sorry I didn't believe you, mom" look. 


Once, a long time ago, my parents took the oldest country kid to the Pizza Hut Lunch Buffet. I'm not sure what happened that day, but it has become legend in his mind..... the holy buffet. Since the boys had a half day of school this week, I decided to bestow upon them the "glory" of taking them. 


This is Fifi's first winter, and she had been told by the older hens there was going to be snow and she was highly disappointed in this whole "winter" thing. I guess she wanted to go sledding, build a snow chicken, you know, the typical activities one does their first winter. Well she got her wish, hours after taking this photo it began to snow.


Practice doesn't make perfect, but it sure makes things look better!
I am so starting to get this crochet zen thing goin!


Bed time snacks, a must in our coop. Night, night, girls!


Remember to take time out of your busy day to find your own things to make you smile!

10 comments:

  1. I love reading your posts! I looks forward to them every time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the picture of the baby chicks and the dog. So adorable. I hear you about the dentist. Had to have the same thing a few weeks ago. Great progress on the crocheting. I tried and gave up several times good for you sticking with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks. I never thought I would get the hang of crocheting, but it finally snapped. I refused to give up. It got personal LOL

      Delete
  3. So jealous you make your own syrup! I bet it is super tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be jealous. It does taste amazing, but it is a LOT of hard work.

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad that your chicken was ok! I've got some pesky dogs so I know that things don't always turn out ok. :( Thanks for sharing on the Waste Less Wednesday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just sucks when the pesky dog is your own LOL

      Delete

Print