Sunday, February 5, 2017

A Week of Homestead Photos January 29th - February 4th

I feel like my days are even busier now that both the country kids are in school. It seems like I am always coming and going, dropping and picking up children!

Winter is back, much to the disappointment of many, including my hubby and the flock. Neither like being out in the snow. Well except the ducks. Those idiots love to just sit in the cold snow and nap.

Since it is too cold to go out and "play" we have been focusing on a lot of indoor projects. The oldest country kid has started some entries for the fair (in August LOL) and I have been trying out new art mediums to see what I might be good at, for illustrating my children's book I plan to write this year.

So what made me smile this week?


That moment when you step out your front door in the dark and your nostrils are assaulted.... I quickly turn the flashlight on my phone on.... did a quick scan... determine said skunk was not present but had wandered over from the neighbor's yard.... So I called the neighbor to inform her that "her" skunk was probably cold and she should come get it.


"Mom, I'm ready for my close up!!" Umm, Buffy, you need to back away from the camera.
No one looks good this early and this close, including you!


The snow started to come down pretty good out there. When I went to tuck everyone in for the night it was a free for all!!!! Every body was stocking up on vitals and water before settling in for the night. 


No I have taken the garland off the porch yet. And look. now it is back in style!


I swear I was born with XX chromosome, but this stuff right here I can not do. I try, but I just mess it up. I can not paint my nails. I have no patience for letting them dry. I of course then mess them up because I have no patience. I freak out trying to fix said nails, only to turn into a purple handed dinosaur. Of course then I have to clean up said mess and make it a bigger mess by spilling remover all over my hands. Hands now covered in polish and remover I stick them under running water. BIG mistake! Wet polish, remover, and water seize up like a proverbial tar pit. This purple handed dinosaur was now stuck. I managed to free myself one paper towel drenched in remover at a time. I tried to be a girl, I did. But then this happened. I think I'll stick to dirt under my nails instead of polish on them!


So shiny and pretty! I just installed it. Why you might be wondering... Because when I went to pick the country kids up from school, I may or may not have locked myself out of the house (truck key still inside.) I may or may not have broken the old lock on the back door in my haste to get to my keys and the ability to retrieve my offspring.

In my defense I only had 11 minutes till pick up time and we live 8 minutes away. For once, I was happy someone had left tools in the critter shed instead of putting them away! As I sprinted, oh hell who am I kidding, I don't sprint... As I walked quickly to the shed in search of anything that could help my plight, Mr Bill started coming after me. Guess he didn't care for my faster movements. I may or may not have actually turned on him and said, "Really? You want a piece of me? Cause I really don't have time for your crap." I so was ready to rock and roll. I did NOT have time for his attitude. 30 seconds later tools in hand (okay by this point my big butt was sprinting) I totally broke the old lock and was heading out the front door, keys in hand.

As I drove a semi acceptable speed limit I pondered just how easy I managed to break into my own home. Either I'm MacGyver or it was time this old house got a new lock. And for those of you now considering breaking into my house, this is not the only lock on the door and we own nothing of value, so don't waste your energy. All trespassers will be made to clean critter crap. You've been warned.


The oldest country kid collected "Pennies for Patients."
This program collects funds for blood cancer research by the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. 


So at tuck in time (yes, I tuck my flock in, cause I am a good mama like that!) I was going to take a photo of Ester and Buffy getting snuggled in on the roost..... And then Fifi was all like "Hi, mom!!!" from the lower roost. It kinda ticked of Ester (cause Ester is getting older and more sour with age) that Fifi dare photo bomb her from behind. Yes, there might have been a few peeks of disapproval on Ester's part, at which point I told Ester that since she is a bully I would not share a nice photo of her, but instead this, in all of Fifi's photo bombing glory. I'm sure Buffy had a few words for both of them after I left.


So I folded laundry like a crazy woman, packed up the littlest country kid, dropped the oldest at school, and then drove an hour to drop of the littlest to the grandparents. Then some how I ended up here?!?!? LOL


When I "accidentally" ended up Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores, this beautiful fabric and burlap some how crawled into my basket. Now to figure out what it will become!


4H craft club meeting and some glass etching!


I might have picked up a pack of watercolors with my 50% off coupon at Joann's... I might have also tried em out. I have never used watercolors before but I think I like em, a lot. My first creation... a peacock puppy! 


Remember to take time out of your busy day to find your own things to make you smile!



12 comments:

  1. Having your kids in school gives you some time to do all those busy things! I tuck my hnes in at night too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great smile on the OCK!! JoAnn's is my favorite store and home away from home!! Can't wait to see what you do with that fabric!! Dona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking a double sided bag of some sort

      Delete
  3. I think I have painted my fingers nails ONCE since I was married...almost 8 years ago. And it was only so my 4 year old would leave me alone about it! lol Thanks for sharing on the Homestead Blog Hop. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once let my son paint my toenails because he kept bugging me. It was epic! LOL

      Delete
  4. I really enjoyed this post, Mindie. It made me smile! Love how eager your hen was for her close up, and well done you for fixing the broken lock (I know you broke it but never mind!) What gorgeous fabric you got for JoAnn's. Looks like it has been a busy week for you, despite the weather! Thank you for being a part of Hearth and Soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, let up forget that I locked myself out and broke it LOL I am a champ for fixing it!

      Delete
  5. I love that chicken close up! It's what my girls would do. Thanks for sharing on the #WasteLessWednesday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our girls get a little treat every night, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your gonna be a chicken mama, treats area must!

      Delete

Print