Sunday, February 26, 2017

A Week of Homestead Photos February 19th - 25th

We started off the week sugaring, aka making Maple syrup. We then had a week of 60 degree weather in Michigan, in February!?!? And we closed the week with thunder and lighting followed by snow! You can get it all in one week in the great state in Michigan! LOL

The critters loved the warmer temps. The ducks got some much needed bathing in and the chickens spend their days scratching and pecking. It was lovely. I couldn't get enough of it. It was so intoxicating I had to hold myself back from starting the garden.

I have had more time to focus on the blog and "branding." Basically, now that the country kids are in school, I can write, paint, design, and get things done!

So what made me smile this week?


Time for more boiling! I may or may not smell like a camp fire!


Bask in its beautiful glory! Here are the concentrates of our boiling finishing up on the propane burner.
This is what it's all about..... Maple syrup!


It was 60 degrees in Michigan in FEBRUARY. Can you say crazy?!?! I got the duck pool cleaned up and filled, much to the delight of some web footed friends. Of course Baby Girl was first in. I have missed watching them romp and splash.


When we were boiling maple syrup, we were also chopping wood to feed the fire. Ester had to check it out and make sure we were ONLY chopping wood. LOL Silly girl, I would never eat you! But if you spot any turkeys, please, give me a heads up. *wink*


Buffy was doing toe inspections. With all the mud, everyone's piggy toes are messed up. After Bufffy gave Fifi the what for because of the condition of her feet, the hens all took a vote that I should send them for pedicures. Seeing how I have never had a pedicure, I informed them that was so not going to happen.


"Good morning..... might you have any treats? Bow down before the goddess of fluffy
cheeks and provide your offering of treats or perish!" I swear that's what she said.
It kind creeped me out. She is getting weird and demanding in her old age.....


The gang didn't mind one bit that their treat was leftover Mexican rice. In fact they loved it so much, it got a little violent! Ester was pecking everyone, while Baby Girl chest bumped her way through the crowd, gobbling up ever last grain of rice. If I had know it was going to be such a hit/grounds for war, I would have saved them more.... or maybe I shouldn't ever give them Mexican rice again. It was total mayhem! Good think I didn't include a margarita to wash it all down! Then they really might have gotten out of control.....


Awwww, one of the duckies left me a beautiful gift 


I've started selling my watercolors I paint.
It was a big step to put myself out there like this, but I am rather proud of them.




First time bowling for the littlest country kid.


Remember to take time out of your busy day to find your own things to make you smile!



6 comments:

  1. Looks like a great week! Your paintings are great, too!! Dona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks! That means a lot. It was scary thinking about sharing them.

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of homesteading but am so NOT an outdoor DIYer. I am trying to learn though! I enjoyed looking at your pictures and you have been an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have no idea how much your words make my heart smile. All I ever wanted to do by starting this blog is to inspire others to try new things.

      Delete
  3. ha ha What kind of chicken is demanding the treats? Love her puffy cheeks. She reminds me of my Easter Eggers. Btw, my 4 year old saw the picture of the duck feather and went "*gasp* What kind of chicken feather is that?!" lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is an EE or americana. Wouldn't a chicken with duck feathers be amazing?!?!

      Delete