Sunday, February 12, 2017

A Week of Homestead Photos February 5th - 11th

Our home was taken hostage by the creeping crude this week. It all started with the littlest country kid...... The amount of mucus has been mind bowing. After a week he and the oldest country kid are still coughing, I'm almost well, but poor hubby has just started. *sigh* These up and down temperatures are NOT helping anyone.

The crazy temps have also taken a toll on the flock. Poor Cinder has started her first ever molt. Sadly we are dipping back into the freezing temps. My poor naked girl. She is at the bottom of the pecking order so she roost alone, no one for body heat. I check on her often to make sure she is doing alright. Luckily for her, her feathers are coming back in just as fast as they are falling out. And I might have a heat lamp on in the shed to help keep it a tad warmer.

We also celebrated the littlest country kids birthday this week. I can not believe he is already five! Where has the time gone?!?!?!

So what made me smile this week?


"Mom, do I look like I want to rise and shine?!?!" Cinder, I know it is a bit chilly today, but you at least need to get up and stretch your legs. Don't give me that look! Winter is making you all a bunch of fat lazy hens, sitting around in the shed all day.


Buffy informed me that due to the current chilly temps, she nor any of the other hens were gong out. She also demanded warm treats. While I will allow her to have attitude and not force anyone to go outside, they can kiss my hiney if they think they can start demanding warm treats be delivered to the shed! Now excuse me while I go find them some non-warm treats..... that will show them!


Larry (formally known as Layla. Yeah, it happens, oops) loves the warm water in his bowl. It may not be a warm adult beverage but he sure acts like it is! With the cold temps, all the critters are grateful for non-frozen beverages. Stupid cold temps.... always freeze the beverages. I always bring out warm water so it takes longer to freeze again. Cause I'm smart like that.


Poor, poor Cinder. With all theses wacky up and down temps, she has decided to start her first ever molt. It's like 9 degrees with the wind chill! Not wonderful timing, my dear bottom of the pecking order, Cinder. And it doesn't help she sleeps alone on a shelf being half naked. *sigh* Of course I stood there holding a bowl of food up for her to eat on the shelf where she should not be roosting, but that's what a chicken mama does, right? 


Oh kind fortune cookie, you flatter me. I don't know if charming is the right word to describe my way with words.
 But I am already ahead of you on that whole book thing.


Oh I had to Mr. Bill, I'm sorry. It's just been so long since I had me some ducky snuggles! Though you could really used a bath. Winter is making you a stinky boy. You haven't lived till you have snuggled a duck, just saying.


Crazy chicken keeper, what do you mean go outside?!?! It's chilly. We are NOT going outside till we are good and ready. And we are neither good nor ready.


Having a little fun trying my hand at glass etching.



Remember to take time out of your busy day to find your own things to make you smile!

8 comments:

  1. Great pics again this week! Poor chilly chicks! Your glass etching is really pretty! Hope your whole household gets well soon! Dona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The crude is starting to move out, thankfully!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing this glimpse into your life and farm animals. What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing on #OverTheMoon. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That glass etching you did is beautiful. Thanks for sharing on the #WasteLessWednesday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete