Sunday, January 15, 2017

A Week of Homestead Photos January 8th - 14th

Remember how last week I said things were returning to normal after the holidays? Bwaaa haa haa That will teach me to assume.... The world has flipped upside down around here, and maybe in a good way. Only time will tell.

I took the oldest country kid to meet the middle school principal and tour the school, thinking it would scare him into buckling down here at homeschool. Wow did that backfire on me! When the principal handed me enrollment papers (which I thought would seal the deal for better behavior at home) the oldest country kid asked me to sign them!?!? Yup, he wants to go back to a brick and mortar school.

I have spent the week getting paperwork done, dealing with multiple littlest country kid issues, and trying to learn to crotchet (which isn't going well.) I doubt our lives will ever be "normal" so I just best get used to it.

So what made me smile this week?


Thank you Wanda for your egg contribution, now move so I can collect the eggs before they all freeze and crack!


I think Mr. Bill is getting REALLY tired of all the girls..... Opened the pop door and he came shooting out (I think to get away from them LOL), found a nice quiet place and settled in for some quality yard sitting. I get it Mr. Bill. I too sometimes get overwhelmed by all the noise in my house. If it weren't so cold, I would yard sit with ya, man.


One last sip, then everyone needs to get their fluffy butts up on the roost. It's bed time, birdies. Sweat dream, my flock.


Excuse me Heidi the homestead hound, but it is morning. That means you get off my couch, because it is my couch and I want to sit on it now. I know you hear me. Just because you are looking straight ahead and not making eye contact does not mean you don't have to listen. Seriously..... my couch. Hello?


Oh what a beautiful morning... Oh what a beautiful day.... I have a beautiful feeling, everything's going my way. Well at least the girls are laying in their new box! I got tired of them laying in the straw bale. Kinda made it hard to use said straw. Not to mention we were almost out of straw which sat on the slanted top of the rabbit pen and Fifi, not being the brightest bird in the shed, kept sliding off the slanted every time she tried to settle in what little straw was left to lay.


40 degrees in Michigan is a heatwave! The oldest country kid decided he didn't need no stinkin coat to heft a few straw bales for me when I got home with them. The critters are going to be so happy with a fresh layer of straw in the shed. And this old mama can still surprise her kids. You should have seen the look on his face when I grabbed the first bale and whipped it into place where we store it. Oh yeah, once a farm girl, always a feed sack hauling, straw bale toting farm girl *wink*


Put down a nice clean layer of new straw and of course everyone had to come check it out!


Straw placement is a VERY important job. One which Buffy and Ester just could NOT leave for the younger hens to handle. You have no idea how seriously these two take this task.... 


A tragedy of epic proportion befell the littlest country kid. After arriving home from preschool, he shut his own thumb in the truck door as he was getting out. Yes, he is okay, even with a gigantic blood blister on his thumb. That is not the epic part.... as he sat on the couch, a look came over his face... "Oh, no, it's my sucking thumb" he announced. Yes, the littlest country kid is a thumb sucker. He sucks that thumb ever night when he goes to bed. It dawned on him that upon hurting his beloved thumb, he would not be able to partake in his nightly ritual. EPIC. I told him to try the other thumb, but he said he couldn't, "My brain wouldn't let me!" EPIC. So how does one make the world right after you've shut your thumb in the truck door and loose your night time ritual? Chocolate, of course. I picked him up a chocolate truck and told him that since the truck had bit him, now he could bite it back. LOL He was delighted and wanted to show off his boo boo thumb and chocolate truck. 


I love fluffy butts!


I took the littlest country kid to the dentist for a cleaning, and we ended up at his friend's house for a play date. His friend's mommy is trying to teach me to crotchet. What proverbial hell have I entered?!?! This is making me head hurt! This little mess you see before you is supposed to end up being a pot holder. Bwaa ha ha, suuuure it is. But I have learned two important things. 1.) Clear crochet hooks make your eyes freak out. 2.) Never use a hook the same color as your yarn. Lord help me I will never understand how people find crocheting relaxing!


In an epic battle for brotherly bragging rights... Who would be the Pie Face Champion?!?!


Remember to take time out of your busy day to find your own things to make you smile!


18 comments:

  1. I love those "fluffy butts!" Sounds like things are changing a bit for you guys :) I really enjoy reading your blog and about your farm. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us, Mindie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping the change is good for all of us.

      Delete
  2. Your chickens always make me smile. Thank you for sharing at #OverTheMoon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They make my mood better every time I am with them. Free therapy! LOL

      Delete
  3. My daughter is enjoying looking at your pictures just as much as I this morning! Happy Thursday, from the Think Tank Thursday link up!
    Megs
    http://sunnyand80.org

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something about that picture of your pooch on the comfy cushion . . .
    Happy Thursday from our St. Bernard, Tucker, and blessings to you from this snowy day in Maine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It always looks like you have the best time! :)

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No we don't LOL I just share what makes me smile from the week. Not what made me want to pull my hair out!

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing your pictures with us on the Homesteader Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope your son enjoys going to school. Sounds like you had a busy week. Thanks for sharing on the Waste Less Wednesday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping the transition goes smoothly and he finds his niche

      Delete
  8. I'm glad your hens are laying again, Mindie. I enjoyed reading about the adventures of Mr Bill too. I'm sorry your school experiment kind of back-fired, but I do hope your son will settle well into a bricks and mortar school and really enjoy it. Thank you for sharing this little glimpse into your life with us at Hearth and Soul. Hope you are having a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a nervous wreck tonight, as he starts tomorrow. I have my fingers crossed it goes smoothly.

      Delete
  9. Smiling is the best medicine for this crazy month, thanks for sharing at the Homestead Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete