Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Wood Slice Snowmen Ornaments

If you have been around the blog the last couple of weeks, you might have noticed I have kind of been on a wood kick. It is amazing what you can do with a branch!! When my neighbors first cut down their black walnut tree it broke my heart. But now? I am so thankful for the branches that were left behind!

So far I have made Log Candlesticks, which turned out so rustic and beautiful. I then went crazy making Painted Wood Slice Ornaments. Those ornaments turned out too cute, and were so fun to personalize for folks. I painted a Mickey Mouse for my youngest and a Boston Terrier for my father. I am not an artist and you don't have to be either to make any of these projects!

Even after all the crafting I had done, I still found myself with a box that contained a considerable amount of wood slices. I had made a dent, but there were still just so many left. I couldn't just put them in my craft stash and walk away. Oh no, I had to do at least one more project this year. So I gathered up those wood slices and decided to make another ornament.


As you can see, when I cut the wood slices with my miter saw, I ended up with various sizes. This was due to the natural tapper of the branch as I moved along it. I really liked using the larger sized slices for the painted ornaments, so my box of left over slices had a bunch of smaller circles. That's when I decided I was gonna make us a snowman family for our tree.


After everyone was in bed, by the glow of my crafting lamp, I got to work. I paired up a smaller slice to a larger slice to create the snowman body and simply hot glued them together!


Once my snowmen were ready, I grabbed a bit of felt from my craft stash and gave them each a scarf. I cut strips of the felt and used the scissors to fray the ends like a scarf would be.


The scarf was easily attached with the glue gun as well. These were so easy to make, I wanted to make an army of them! Alas, there are just four of us in our family, so I stopped at four. I sat there looking at them and decided as rustic and cute as they were, I wanted to add some painted details. I used acrylic paint to give them faces and little tummy buttons.


The camera totally washed out their cute orange carrot noses, but I think you get a good idea of the finished project. I think our family looks great as a set of snowmen. Though I am still not sure which I like better, sold mouths or dot mouths...... What do you think?



18 comments:

  1. These are adorable!! Since you asked....the solid mouth looks like a man and the dotted looks like a girl to me! They are all as sweet as can be! Dona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I can see the dotted and line difference!

      Delete
  2. these are so lovely - what a clever idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And believe it or not, I STILL have more wood slices LOL But I'll save those for next year. :)

      Delete
  3. Simply adorable! Thank you for sharing! Pinning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So easy!! Wish I had seen these sooner - looking for a gift for my staff! thanks for sharing on the Pleasures of the NW's DIY party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The are so quick to make and there is always net year!

      Delete
  5. I just love these!

    I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute idea! And now, wood pieces are so trendy you can find them all over. Thanks for sharing with us at Family Joy Blog link party :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can buy them at craft stores or like me, make your own for free!

      Delete
  7. Very clever. You did a super job on something most would throw away. Great ideas.Eiter mouth is fine, but tend to like the dots.Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just couldn't let all that wonderful wood go to waste

      Delete
  8. Snowmen are my favorite! I probably could decorate an entire tree in snowmen for Christmas, in fact a lot of my winter/January decorations are snowmen! This would make a cute addition. Thanks for sharing on the Waste Less Wednesday Hop!

    ReplyDelete

Print