Sunday, December 18, 2016

A Week of Homestead Photos December 11th - 17th

We will be having a VERY white Christmas this year. It has done nothing but snow this week. The littlest country kid even got a couple of snow days from school. Sadly, since I homeschool the oldest country kid, he did NOT get any snow days. LOL

It has been a busy week around here trying to get the Christmas tree up and decorated, dealing with ever changing schedules due to the weather, and trying to keep up with all the critter chores. Let me tell ya, there is nothing as glamorous as dealing with frozen water containers, getting your gloves stuck to metal and trying to collect eggs before they freeze and crack.

So what made me smile this week



Snow, snow and more snow!


In the immortal words of the Red Green show.... if they don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy. Handy I am!!! I used some spare items to create a latch inside the shed so when I go in to tend the critters the door doesn't keep blowing open! Just call me MacGyver..........


Lily turned out to NOT be pregnant!!! No baby bunnies in the freezing dead of winter! 


Some of the enrichment items we collected up to donate to
the zoo that hosts the oldest country kid's autism program.


The country kids were excited to give our donation to the keepers at the zoo at the monthly program.


While at the zoo this month we got to see the zoo after dark. Every see a sleeping black rhino? Now you have!


The zoo was decorated with Christmas lights. They gave us these special glasses to view the lights.
I've never dropped acid, but imagine this might be what it might be like. LOL


The weather was getting a little crappy, so I left early to pick up the littlest county kid from preschool. Visibility ranged from a 1/4 mile down to "Holy Crap I hope I don't rear end anyone." I may have done a little ice skating routine at one point, but kept her out of the ditch. I was putting along at a whopping 20 mph when what to my wondering eyes should appear? A freakin herd of wild turkeys crossing the road.


I told them it was cold, really, really cold. I told them they didn't want to go out. But after being locked inside the previous day  due to the temps, they insisted on heading out the door. You see that cracked door behind them? Yeah, they didn't make it far. This is as far as they made it before plopping in the snow, shaking, trying to tuck their feet in their feathers. See, I TOLD you it was cold, but did you listen!?!? NOOOOOO. Fear not, I managed to get them back up on their feet and back in the door. Next time hopefully they will listen to me, but probably not.


Tinsel the Christmas pig guarding the tree.


Day three of the hostage situation (aka not being let out of the shed due to below zero temps.) Fifi and Larry were having a discussion as to the day's agenda. Breakfast first, then total mayhem seems to be the consensus.


Introducing the newest members of the (mis)Adventure family, Finny and Finley!
We surprised the country kids with an early Christmas present today and let them pick out a fishy friend. 


The temps finally got above zero. Mr. Bill was overly excited when I opened the pop door. FREE AT LAST!!!!!!!!


Heidi the homestead hound and Nate never coexist in the same space!
But here they are, caught red pawed, checking out the presents!! 


Who are some happy ducks!?!? Hot tub time!


We had our family yearly eye exams and I was so proud of the littlest country kid who was identifying letters and numbers, CORRECTLY, for the doctor. Guess he is learning something at preschool after all.


Remember to take time out of your busy day to find your own things to make you smile!


6 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a great month!

    I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh so much snow! We are in Normandy, France and haven't had any decent snow for 2 winters now. To be honest I am happy with that but could do with some cold weather to kill off garden pests. #WasteLessWednesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been -30F the last two winters so I am not complaining about -9 any more LOL

      Delete
  3. I love that you named that pig tinsel! So cute! Sounds like you had a wonderful week. Thanks for sharing on the Waste Less Wednesday Hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not every week is great, but there are always great moments in every week.

      Delete

Print