Sunday, October 2, 2016

A Week of Homestead Photos September 25 th - October 1st

Homeschool, preschool..... lots of school. I feel like fall is on fast forward for the country kids. They are staying busy and getting totally exhausted using their brains. Which means by the time I ask them to do something around the homestead.... well, no more brain power. I feel like I am constantly repeating myself and correcting bad behavior. *sigh*

The temps are dipping and mornings are clocked in fog lately. The critters are not enjoying the earlier bad time because of the shorter days. Sorry guys, but predators lurk in the dark.

All of our hens are laying now! Nothing like having a stock pile of precious eggs. Time to start whipping us some great recipes, like Dutch Babies, that call for extraordinary amounts of eggs. It really does take quite a few eggs to make everyone in the family their very own Dutch Baby, and while ordinarily I hord my precious eggs, when we have this many, we celebrate with an amazing breakfast on the weekends.

So what made me smile this week?


My sweet Fifi enjoying the sunshine on her bum in the early morning dawn. 


Lizzy the Leopard Gecko shed again. I think she looks like a bank robber with pantyhose over her head! 


The ducks on their morning bug patrol. Leave no corner unchecked!


I saved this cool looking caterpillar off the window of a fellow parent at school pick up time. Yeah, I'm that weirdo that flags someone down to stop their car so I can save a caterpillar. I think he is just too cool looking.


Lazy bums who didn't want to get off the roost. I get it, I didn't want to crawl out of bed either.


The older girls have gone rouge and are laying in the straw bales, again. Guess we might need another nest box, or they just need to get along with the younger girls.


I told Buffy it was time to make breakfast.... I don't think she found it funny. LOL


The days are getting shorter and darkness is coming earlier, which is great for getting the country kids to bed, but not so much the ducks. They don't care if it is dark and predators may be lurking. Oh, no, these idiots had to have a lengthy discussion and vote on if they would be going in the shed after I chased them through the inky black. Really guys!?!?! REALLY!!! When mama says it's lock down time you better waddle your butts in!!!


Cute little country boys grow up to break hearts. I think we might be in trouble.


Take me to a Halloween store and I can still find something country, even if it is creepy!


Ester was not impressed with her new flock mates and was relieved when I told her they were getting a transformation. I love DIY Halloween decoration projects. Check back next week to see how they turned out.



Remember to take time out of your busy day to find your own things to make you smile!


12 comments:

  1. Really hard to pick a fave this week! I love Fifi's butt....and the smiling gecko! Doesn't he look like he's smiling? The ducks always crack me up! Oooh, can't wait to see what's going to happen to the flamingos!! Have a wonderful week! Dona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will say this, the flamingos turned out awesome in their new Halloween role!

      Delete
  2. Another week of wonderful photos - I agree with Dona that my favorite has to be Fifi's fluffy but - she's a beauty. AND yes the gecko looks like he's smiling - think he's ready for his own TV commercial. All your pics make my heart smile and I look forward to them. Take good care of yourself during this healing period - chasing ducks in the dark can be tricky. hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chasing anything no matter what time of day is tricky LOL I just chased the neighbor's chickens for her to lock them up. Two came willingly but I had to call the oldest country kid for back up because Pepper kept running. She was like "I don't know you human, don't touch me!" LOL

      Delete
  3. Uh oh! We've had some naughty girls too. Someone has been scratching ALL of the straw out of their nesting boxes for some reason, which resulted in eggs all over the floor of the coop the other day. I still haven't found the culprit or WHY she is doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your wonderful post at #OverTheMoon. I look forward to what you will share next week! Do something special. Give yourself a standing ovation today! We hope you’ll come back again next Sunday when we open our doors at 6:00 PM EST.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HA! I love that mask! :)

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL!!! I so much enjoyed this post! Love your sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Thanks! I figure you can either laugh or cry through life, so I laugh.

      Delete

Print