Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Grumpy Goldie Goes to the Vet

Recently I had to take our Alpha hen, Grumpy Goldie to the vet. Now some people giggled at me, taking a chicken to the vet and all, but it had to be done. This isn’t the first time we have taken a hen to the vet, but sadly the other two times it was due to predator injury and those hens could not be saved. But Grumpy Goldie, luckily, was only battling an infection. I had high hopes that with some antibiotics, we could help her out.

So how do you take a chicken to the vet? Well I guess a normal person would use a pet crate or a cardboard box, but being the odd folks we are, I pulled out our chicken diaper and put it on her. Yes, we own a chicken diaper. The country kids like to bring a chicken or duck in on occasion to hang out or watch cartoons and well I am not one for poultry poo on the floor and furniture.

I am also not keen on poultry poo on my truck passenger seat, so on the diaper went, and off to the vet we headed. Of course, Grumpy Goldie called shotgun, since the littlest country kid had to be in his booster seat in the backseat. Seeing how she hadn’t been in a vehicle since she was brought home as a day old chick some five years ago, her “sea legs” were lacking. I had to stop very slow and take corners with ease so as not to have her flop off the seat.


On the way we had to stop to pick up laundry soap, and since I hadn’t had breakfast yet, I grabbed a bag of mini Kit Kats. Don’t judge, I needed sugar! I opened the package and set them in the cup holder so I could nibble them on the drive. As I went to start the truck back up, someone took it upon herself to investigate this addition to the front seat area. I guess she liked what she smelled/saw, because Grumpy Goldie stuck her beak in the bag and stole a mini Kit Kat!!! I had to wrestle it out of her beak before getting back on the road. A pet carrier was starting to look like a much better option! 


Once we arrived at the vet, Grumpy Goldie was greeted like the celebrity she is. Bet you didn’t know she has appeared in not one but two UK publication! And she was in the photo that won us the 2015 Nutrena Chick Pic Photo contest. So of course it was only fitting that not only the vet staff but other clients fawned all over her. She took her celebrity appearance in style, accepting compliments and requests to pet her. I think she was relieved when we finally made it into the exam room. Being the center of attention can be draining, even for a chicken!


Little did she know, the “fun” was just beginning. You see, I had to take Grumpy Goldie to the vet because she laid a lash egg. A lash egg is an indicator that she had a raging “girly” infection. It was a rather gross thing to find in the coop, but at least it gave me a heads up to get her seen.


While there were no stirrups or little chicken gowns, she did have to suffer through the indignity of an exam. Even celebrities have to cooperate when it comes to the doctor! After viewing the lash egg and doing the exam, the vet said my diagnosis was spot on and that poor Grumpy Goldie’s girly parts were REALLY infected. But don’t fear, she gave us an antibiotic that should have Goldie right as rain.


During the exam, the vet had to trim some nasty bum feathers in order to get to Grumpy Goldie’s vent. After the exam, Goldie showed her displeasure of the whole event by acting as any diva would…. She flapped those poo encrusted feathers everywhere! The littlest country kid was none too amused by the feather shower. So maybe she didn’t wreck a hotel room like a rock star, but some poor vet tech was gonna have to clean all that up. *sigh* And that is what you get when you have a diva chicken.


Lucky for Grumpy Goldie, I was able to get her the medical attention she needed. Let’s just say, I am glad she now has a patient relationship with our vet and we will NOT have to take her back in if she needs more antibiotics. I think one Kit Kat stealing, diva flapping trip is enough for a life time, hers and mine!

20 comments:

  1. Cat carrier :-) I took a rooster to my vet. He gave him a spur trim with a dremel tool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was really well behaved, except for the Kit Kat stealing LOL

      Delete
  2. Oh, the poor dear! I'm glad she has a good family like yours to look after her! That egg thing was grody.....but Kit Kats are one of my faves!! Dona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally icky! LOL But she does have good taste in candy *wink*

      Delete
  3. You have a chicken diaper? That's great. I actually used to own a hen named Goldie (but she wasn't very grumpy).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who doesn't have a chicken diaper?!?! LOL I know, I'm weird.

      Delete
  4. I loved your story! What an experience. I am hoping to get some backyard chickens in the spring. Did you make your chicken diaper? Thank you for sharing your humorous story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping to get more chickens this spring LOL The diaper actually came from Louise's country closet. They make all sorts of neat stuff.

      Delete
  5. Gonna HAVE to go read about the lash egg now! I enjoyed Goldie's story very much. How proud you must be of her celebrity!
    Here from Inspire ME Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lash egg is sooo gross LOL I am always proud of my Grumpy Girl. She is my favorite (don't tell the others.)

      Delete
  6. How cute!! Love the story and especially the Kit-Kats! Sometimes a girl needs chocolate - and who knows maybe it will help her be a little less Grumpy! Works on me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a food thief! In the summer if you have food anywhere near her, she tries to take it... cookies, marshmallows, pork ribs. LOL

      Delete
  7. I am not into chickens, but you are recruiting me with your stories! Keep it up. Thanks for sharing at #overthemoon. Please come and share at Thursday Favorite Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chickens are wonderful.... but if your going to get poultry.... ducks are slightly more mess but have amazing personalities! Or you could just get a dozen chickens and a half dozen ducks. LOL

      Delete
  8. I had girls too, if only they were allowed to show their personalities off more often! Mine too went to the vets often, they were rescued ex batts. Phenomenal creatures and I can't wait to have more. Hope she's mended now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She seems to be doing very well. Her bum is cleared up and she is back to roosting in her alpha spot way up high.

      Delete
  9. Oh my what an experience, cute she would go for chocolate. Nice she has a good owner to looks after her, that eggy thing was gross.

    Thanks for linking this week on #OMHGWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was rather icky LOL Good thing I love her so!

      Delete
  10. Oh dear, and I thought it was challenging when we had to take our cats to the vet years ago! Taking a chicken to the vet is a whole other story! Really enjoyed this post - do hope Goldie is feeling much better now. Thank you for being a part of our Hearth and Soul Hop community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was pretty easy to take to the vet all and all. LOL She appears to be much better now after her course of antibiotics, but she is getting older, and I know her day will come. :( But that is a part of life and I will love and celebrate her while I have her.

      Delete

Print