Sunday, February 14, 2016

A Week of Homestead Photos February 7th - 13th

What an amazing week we had. The weather was so crazy our maple syrup test taps actually gave us sap. We might be making syrup this year after all. I can't wait for this freezing cold spell to go away so the taps will flow again.

We celebrated the littlest country kid's 4th birthday this week. It is hard to believe he is already four. Time sure does fly. He asked for a farm themed party and a cake with edible animals, and I managed to pull it off even though I had never worked with fondant before.

The ducks and chickens are all laying very well this week, despite the fact it is winter and freezing. I have never been over run by eggs in the winter before! Guess it is time to do some serious baking!

So what made me smile this week?

Finding an egg in your pocket after leaving the house. Oops!

The littlest country kid turned 4. OMG where has the time gone....

I had NEVER made or worked with fondant before, but I think the cake came out awesome!

Test taps and sap! Maybe we will be making maple syrup this year
after all. To bad it turned freezing again.

Mr. Bill saying "sweet dream" after he gets the girls safely to bed.

I just love fluffy butts...... I like fluffy butts and I can not lie!

Mr. Bill and Betty don't care if it is in the single digits, they have yard sitting to do!
I love how ducks can tuck their feet up in their fluff.

I'll admit it, I may have been a few (like 10 minutes) late on my critter chores one morning. No big deal right? WRONG. When I got to the shed Buffy was pacing in her night pen like a wild woman with her legs crossed. She clearly needed to lay but had no intention of doing so in the pen. As soon as I opened the door, she shot out like her feathers were on fire, crossed the shed, hopped up the ladder to the nest box..... ran across the nest box platform and belly flopped into the straw bales. LOL There was desperation in her eyes as she frantically pulled straw around her. So I decided to wait and take the egg in with me. No such thing going on. She refused to give up the egg till I left the shed. All that commotion and then she was like “Nope, not while YOU’RE here.”

Computers are now cat charging stations.
He is fully charged, thus the green eye! *wink*

Someone was very proud of himself Valentine's project he made a Lowes.

A little farm humor at the place we had lunch. LOL



Remember to take time out of your busy day to find your own things to make you smile!


8 comments:

  1. You did a great job with the cake and how cool to harvest your own syrup! found you over at Inspire Me Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved playing in the fondant. LOL It was like yummy play doh for adults LOL We have been making our own syrup for a few years now. Lots of hard work but man, nothing compares! So glad you came by!

      Delete
  2. Hi Mindie you had tons of things to make you smile this week and they made me smile as well. I love the birthday cake - so cute and yes where does the time go. Children seem to grow so fast. Thanks for sharing with us at #OvertheMoon and see you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute cake! I love your chickens and ducks! We are getting some soon for the first time. Thanks for joining the Homestead Blog Hop last week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cake was a challenge in that I had never done fondant before, but I had fun. It was like sculpting with play doh. LOL My son loved them so I guess it turned out okay :)

      Delete
  4. I love the idea of tapping for maple syrup. Thanks for sharing at Simply Natural Saturdays.

    ReplyDelete