Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Easy NY Style Bagels You Can Make At Home

Who doesn't love a GOOD bagel?!?! My country kids love bagels, but sadly all they have ever had were store bought bagels. Trust me, these are not GOOD bagels. They will do in a pinch, but really? A good bagel should have a firm outer layer with a chewy inner soul. Not to mention, store bought bagels have stuff in them that really shouldn't be there. So I decided it was time to take the whole bagel matter into my own hands and it could not have been easier!

Yes, I just said making bagels at home is EASY. After looking around at a gazillion different recipes for homemade bagels, I came to the conclusion that people were just making this harder then it needed to be. And what happened to recipes that used simple ingredients that anyone could find in their pantry?!?! So I dumbed it all down and came up with a recipe that has just 4 ingredients. You read that right, the dough has just 4 ingredients and I bet you have all of them!

Ingredients
1 packet of dry active yeast (which equals 1 Tablespoon)
4 Cups of flour, I just used plain all purse
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 Cups of warm water

Start by placing your flour in a mixing bowl. Use your measuring cup to make a pit to pour your water into. Sprinkle the salt on the flour and added the water to your pit. Now put the yeast in the water to "proof" for a few minutes.


Once you have given the yeast a little time to wake up, it's time to get in there and get dirty. Oh sure, you can use a stand mixer..... but who doesn't love to just get in there and mix it up. Once the ingredients are incorporated, it is time to knead the dough. For a chewy inside, you need to really knead the dough. I'm talking at least 5-10 minutes. And yes, you can totally count this as your daily workout!

Once your dough has been kneaded, it is time to let it rise. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl in a warm location for 1 1/2 hours. Now go do something fun till it is ready. When the rise is over, do not "punch down" the dough like a normal bread, just flop it out of the bowl onto your counter. Use a knife to cut the dough into 8 equal parts. You are going to want to shape these into 8 balls. Try to keep them kind of flatter on the top, not a true ball. Place the balls on a lightly greased pan and let them rest/rise for about 30 minutes.


While your dough is resting, it is time to get everything ready for the final push. You are going to want to preheat your oven to 425 degrees. On your stove top, you are going to want to bring a pot of water to a light boil. In the water you are going to add:

Water Bath
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 Tablespoon white sugar

When the dough is done resting it is time to get the hole in the middle of your bagel. I just shoved my thumb in from the top, picked up the dough and shimmied my index finger from my other hand in next to my thumb from the bottom. Then simply start "twirling" your fingers around each other and slightly stretching the dough. Don't worry if your bagels aren't all the same. That is the beauty of making them at home, they have character!

Just stick your thumb in!!!

Now comes the really cool, call your kids in to watch part of this process..... The boiling of the bagels! This is so cool, because the dough feels, like, well dough, but after you boil it, it feels rubbery. Simply drop the bagels into the lightly boiling water. You will cook them for 2 minutes, then flip them and cook the other side for an additional minute. And when you boil the bagels, they puff up like aliens! LOL My sons liked that part. *Poof*

Use the handle of a long wooden spoon to flip your boiling bagels. The handle is also great for getting them out of the water. Just slip it though the whole and lift. Remember I said the dough gets a little rubbery? It is also a little slimy when it comes out of the water so be careful not to lose your bagel off the end of your spoon handle!


Put your bagels back on your greased pan and when they have all been boiled, pop the pan in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 425 degrees. The bagels smell amazing and the golden color is beautiful!

One thing that bugged me beyond belief when I was studying all those bagel recipes, was that so many people were saying how they got up at the butt crack of dawn to make bagels. Why? Yes, the shelf life on homemade bagels is around 3 days in an air tight container, but I am so not getting up at 5 am to make breakfast. These bagels are easily whipped up the day before..... so stay in bed my friends!

Now I may not be a little old Jewish guy from New York, but for a Midwest farm girl, I rocked these bagels like no one's business. My well travel hubby was duly impressed. And the country kids? Oh yeah, they loved them too!


43 comments:

  1. I have been looking at bagel recipes gor a long time trying to build the nerve to try it. This looks so simple I am definitely trying it this weekend. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are ridiculously simple! Seriously, if I can pull it off, you got this!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing. I am definitely going to try this out. Looks easy and delish! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh they are so yummy. My oldest was a bit shocked by the chew outside (like they should be) but then again, he has only ever had crappy store ones. Poor kid LOL

      Delete
  3. Farm Girl, you have HIT IT OUT OF THE PARK Again!!! I will definitely make these with my GKs soon. And, since my post failed the other day when you posted about "Holland" and "My Kids are Killing Me", I wanted to THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for that post. My "Holland" is not the same as yours, but it is still "Holland" and not the "Italy" that I envisioned being in for the last 3 years. Instead of a child with a disability I am a full-time stand in mom to my GKs. I won't go into all the details of why that is "Holland" to me at age 60, but suffice it to say that when I am the common, everyday "bad guy", and the parents are the visiting "celebrities", grand-parenting looks VERY DIFFERENT from what I envisioned. So, THANK YOU, I'm sure making homemade bagels together will HELP in that department, and add some much-needed luster to my "grandparent badge", I'm sure. :)

    Thank you; YOU ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guys will have a blast making them together. Putting the holes in and boiling them are so fun. Holland, Italy, Beirut.... we all end up somewhere LOL I am so sorry your dream of being a grandparent isn't what you had hoped, but know you will always hold a special place in those kids heart later on in life.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Mindie:

      It DOES help when we are willing to share that our life is not all Roses! I appreciate your honesty!

      Delete
  4. Mindie,
    I love bagels and many times you can't get good ones even in NYC. I don't have kids but my hubby would love these. Pinning.
    Annamaria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't our hubbies just big kids anyway? LOL

      Delete
  5. Wow these sound great, I am definitely going to give them a go. Thanks for sharing at Good Morning Mondays. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so easy, even my hubby can make em! LOL

      Delete
  6. Oh, these are nice. I pinned them to my FOOD board. Best wishes, Linda @Crafts a la Mode

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! If these weren't so simple to make, I would invite you immediately to Australia to bake them for me! Hahaha! In saying that, you are welcome any time! Thanks for linking up at Mum-bo Monday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But can't everything in Australia kill you? LOL How about I just ship you some.

      Delete
  8. HaHa! I am eating a bagel as I stumbled onto this post! Yes I CAN do this! I WILL do this! thank you for the inspiration and can do recipe! Awesome.Thanks for sharing this post at the #PureblogLove Link party! The party begins againThursday night at 8 p.m. We hope you plan to link up again. We'd love to see more of your fantastic ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those bagels look perfect! Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised just how great they turned out. We make them all the time now!

      Delete
  10. Love this idea! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! Your recipe has been pinned to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! Please join us again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look soooo good. I have never made bagels at home but I want to!


    You should come link up at our link up and Pin-It Party tonight that just went live.

    http://www.raisingfairiesandknights.com/bloggersspotlight-1/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never made bagels at home and have always wanted to. These look great and you make it sound so easy. I found your post from the Lets Get Real party and I am now following your social media. I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are just this easy. Trust me, I am all about easy! LOL

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. I;m not gonna lie, they are pretty darn good LOL

      Delete
  14. I tried making bagels once but couldn't get the shape right, your way of doing it is brilliant!! Cannot wait to try them this weekend!!
    BTW I love you (you have a great sense of humor) and your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you, I am totally blushing over here!

      Delete
  15. What a neat idea!! They look and sound so amazing!

    Would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, and tips: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it! My son is a bagel monster! He'll flip to know we can do this at home!
    Thanks for the recipe!
    Have you tried freezing them yet? I'm curious!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They never last long enough to freeze lol

      Delete
  17. Love how easy and yummy these sounds!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, wow! You made that look easy! I've read bagel recipes, but have always been intimidated by all the steps. 'Gotta try this! Thank you for sharing at Tuesdays with a Twist! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sound crazy hard, but just take it step by step and they are so easy.

      Delete
  19. I've always been intimidated by bagel recipes, but you make it all look very straight-forward, Mindie! Thank you so much for sharing this post with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The are pretty easy. I was shocked the first time I made them how easy it was. No need to buy bagels any more. Plus these are soooo much better then store bought.

      Delete
  20. I have been wanting to try to make my own bagels recently. Thanks for sharing the recipe on Happiness is Homemade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your will love making your own. They are sooo much better :)

      Delete
  21. Wow, this looks so easy. I'm going to have to try this and stop getting the store bought one for Hubby! Your posts would be perfect for the Waste Less Wednesday Blog Hop! http://skipthebag.blogspot.com/2016/08/waste-less-wednesday-blog-hop-2.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They taste SO much better than store bought!

      Delete