Friday, February 27, 2015

Support American Made!

I strongly believe that American made matters. So many of the things in our homes today are made in foreign countries and are not the quality our grandparents once knew. But it doesn't have to be that way. We, as consumers, make our voices heard when we choose where to spend our money. I love supporting local vendors, be it at our farmer’s market or the local mom and pop stores. I love learning about folks who are bringing quality back through cottage industries.

Seriously, why do we, as consumers settle for poorly made items? To save a few cents? But in the long run, do we really save when time and again we have to replace those items? I am all for saving money and there are many ways you can, such as line drying your laundry. But with poorly made foreign clothespins you have to constantly replace your pins. How are you saving money when you use cheap pins that have to be replaced over and over? The replacement costs start eating into the money you save by line drying clothes to begin with!

Awhile back, I was delighted to have the opportunity to review a product that after using, I can totally stand behind and champion…. Kevin’s Quality Clothespins. The family behind these pins are right here in America and they literally handcraft each and every pin. It is a family business that not only provides functional sturdy pins, but these pins are beautiful. You can read my original review here.


As demands grow for quality, their orders have taken off. I am so delighted for them that they are making their dream come true, but now it is time for them to take their business to the next level and get these pins on store shelves, next to those cheap pins, so everyone not only knows about them, but has the opportunity to save by using them. The folks over at Kevin’s Quality Clothespins have started a Kickstart campaign so they can purchase the equipment needed to make this a reality.

Regardless of weather you line dry your clothes or not, this is about supporting quality handcrafted items made right here in America. Please take a moment to visit their Kickstart campaign here. Get to know these wonderful folks and if you want to support their project, I know it would mean the world to them. If you can’t financially help, spread the word. You never know who might be in need of a quality product or is looking to help make American made products a reality.

One thing I have learned in life, is that if we each care, just a little, things can change. While I giggled one year when my son told me he knew the Easter Bunny lived in China because all the toys in his basket were made there, it also smacked me in the face with the reality that indeed, all the things I had just given him were not made in this country. It was a wakeup call to me personally. That is why I am here today to spread the word about quality products made by people like you and me, right here in our own backyards.

Let’s help make quality something that expected in products, not a charming surprise. Let’s champion the “little guy.” Let’s get the word out about Kevin’s Quality Clothespins. Let’s help a family do what they love and produce a quality product that we all can enjoy!

Pins waiting to be hand oiled with love!

10 comments:

  1. In Australia we are encouraged to buy Australian made but sometimes it is way too expensive, but I agree that it is something we should try and do. I just love the clothes pegs and have been talking about getting better wooden ones instead of the plastic ones that just fall apart after a couple of uses. Will have to see if I can get them to Australia. Thanks for sharing at Good Morning Mondays. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some times price can be a problem with supporting locally made items, but then again, I totally believe you get what you pay for!

      Delete
  2. Those clothes pins are so cool! How awesome to make them in the US! It seems so many companies outsource overseas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the wonderful things about blogging is the chance to get to know these cottage industries (aka families, who are making a difference!)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this article. I agree in supporting American made as often as we can! Thanks for linking up at Inspire Me Mondays and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by and I hope you have a great weekend too!

      Delete
  4. How awesome! I am all about American Made! At the craft store I own "American Clutter LLC" we upcycle and create our own goodies...but when we upcycle we really try to find things that were made in America to upcycle..its hard as hell..so when we do come across something awesome made in America we always scoop it up and give it new life so that someone else can enjoy it! Thanks for sharing at Totally Terrific Tuesday! I will pin this and tomorrow when its not midnight..share it on social networks so that it gets more action :)
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know they would love all the help anyone can give them. You are so kind!

      Delete
  5. I certainly choose Canadian companies whenever possible. Products made in the US are my second choice (not because of poor quality but because I'm Canadian), and I try to avoid things made in Asia. Not that it's always possible, but I try.

    The clothespins look good. I'm tired of breaking the cheap ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should always support your own country! And these clothespins are wonderful! I promise, you will love them.

      Delete

Print