Sunday, February 22, 2015

Homemade Fish Sticks With Garlic Butter Noodles!

Every two weeks, my hubby and I sit and have the "So what do you want to eat" discussion as part of our meal planning. And of course, the same old, same old gets tossed around. But I am tired of the same old thing!

Our kids always have an "opinion" about our meals and frankly I am tired of hearing what they have to say every night. If it is something hubby and I like, of course the kids don't. So we needed a meal that everyone could just shut up and eat.

We like fish, but throwing a piece of fish on a plate tends to make the kids groan, so we had to give it a makeover. What kid doesn't love fish stick!?!? And what parent doesn't want to give their kids a healthy version of the frozen store bought crappy fish stick? Thus we came up with homemade fish stick and as a side, egg noodles in garlic butter we made ourselves.

While this recipe has some prep work and may take more time then opening a box of sticks and pouring them on a cookie sheet, trust me, it is WELL WORTH the extra time! So how does one make fish sticks at home that even a grown-up will love? Pretty simple actually.

Ingredients
1 – 1 and 1/2 lbs. of cod (yes you can use frozen but thaw it before you start)
Flour for dusting
2 eggs, whipped with 2-3 Tablespoons of water in it
2 cups of bread crumbs

Start by cutting up your cod into similar sized pieces. Once you have your fish ready, it is time to set up the assembly line. Put out a plate of flour for lightly dusting the fish. Next have a bowl of your egg/water mix to dip the fish in. Last you are going to have a plate of bread crumbs to roll the fish in. Be aware, your fingers are going to get messy! LOL Or you can invite another family member to help you so that you can each take a portion of the work. For instance, your child can dust the fish and drop it into the egg, while you move it with one hand from the egg and roll it in the bread crumbs with your other hand.


Place your fish sticks on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees for around 20 minutes. Keep an eye on them. You don’t want to burn your bread crumbs. .You will know they are done when crispy brown. These smell sooooo good while they are cooking!


For the garlic butter noodle, just simply throw some eggs noodles (we used wide) into a pot and follow the package directions. When they are done, cover them in homemade garlic butter (recipe here) and Parmesan cheese to taste. They are Yummy and complement the cod well. 

Believe it or not, my complaining country kids didn't have a single groan or negative comment about anything on their plates! And yes, I did mark my calendar!! I have never seen two kids eat so fast. This recipe will definitely be on rotation in our meal planning from now on.


34 comments:

  1. I've done that with white, but made squares. Dredged in herbs, pepper, and parmesan with breadcrumbs. A slightly french version :) Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I meant whiting! An ocean fish. You can also make egg noodles and toss with sour cream, salt and a little chives, also yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many ways to play with noodles! LOL

      Delete
  3. Yum, these look great, and tasty. Thanks for sharing at Good Morning Mondays. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks very tasty! Good idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sound yummy! I'm always looking for ways to get my kids to eat more fish, I will have to try this. Visiting from Creative Ways Link Party :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I have no problem with salmon, they eat that by the boat load, but any type of white fish they turn their noses up.

      Delete
  6. Hi Mindie! These fish sticks look scrumptious. I loved fish sticks as a kid but haven't eaten them in a very long time. I can't wait to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fish sticks for grown ups! LOL I hope you enjoy!

      Delete
  7. I sorta fell out of love with seafood. It tends to bother my stomach, but on occasions I want it. I will save your recipe to try for myself sometime. This sounds like a much healthier alternative to store-bought fish sticks and I'm sure they taste a ton better, too. Thanks for sharing and it's nice to meet you on Friendship Friday! ;)

    http://curiousasacathy.com/2015/02/flashbackfriday-my-first-camera-polaroid/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is MUCH healthier then store bought! Hope you enjoy :)

      Delete
  8. Thanks I have done this before but forgot all about it. I will be doing it this week. Also I will use almond flour & homemade gluten free/dairy free breadcrumbs. (I make it for my Aunt). And then do regular flour and regular breadcrumbs for me and my brother..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny how over time you forget to do things you liked. Glad I reminded you to make some!

      Delete
  9. Great idea! I've made homemade chicken fingers but I don't know why I never thought to do it with fish. Thanks for giving me another meal idea to put in my bag of tricks :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My bag seems to always have the same tricks lately.... I never thought about chicken fingers! So win/win! Thank you.

      Delete
  10. Never thought to make homemade fish sticks. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to love fish sticks growing up! These look so much better than the frozen kind too!! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! Your recipe has been pinned to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! Please join us again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look great. We do not eat meat on Fridays during Lent, so these will be perfect! And, guess what? This was the most viewed post from last week's Try a New Recipe Tuesday. Congratulations! Your feature will be going live shortly. Have you grabbed an "I've been featured" button? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most viewed? Really. Cool beans! Thanks!

      Delete
  13. I've never made homemade fish sticks, chicken nuggets yes, but not fish sticks. Thanks for the recipe. Sharing! Thanks for sharing at Totally Terrific Tuesday last week! Can't wait to see what you have been working on this week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would have never thought about doing this, thanks for sharing! Thanks for linking up to Awesome Life Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it is one of those, oh yeah, maybe I can do that kind of moments! LOL And it really is easy to do......

      Delete
  15. Your recipe looks delicious. Thank you very much for joining in the celebration of #purebloglove, we enjoy having you each week. I hope to see you on Thursday at 8PM, EST through Sunday night. ~Cydnee

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm liking your ideas of getting kids to eat. :) Thanks for stopping by and sharing this on Five Friday Finds! I'm looking forward to what you share this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great looking meal, I could it eat it right now. Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete

Print