Thursday, February 26, 2015

Churro Inspired Mini Muffins

Recently for the littlest country kid's 3rd birthday, we took him to our favorite Mexican restaurant for dinner. At the end of dinner, the staff came over and sang to the birthday boy and presented him with his birthday churros. He was delighted!!! I don’t blame him, I think churros are yummy too.

Over the next few days he asked for more churros, but as I do not have a churro machine, I was at a lost. I was not about to take him to the restaurant again. I mean who can afford to eat out every night so their kid can have churros!?!?! This sent me on a mission to whip up something at home that would fill his desire.

So what is a churro? A real churro is a fried dough pastry. In Spain, the churro can come in different forms from long and thin to twisted and thick. A churro is crisp on the outside and is served sprinkled with sugar. It is similar to, let’s say, an American funnel cake, sort of. Churros usually have a star shape since they are piped using a churro machine or star shaped attachment on a piping bag. Neither of which I have……

So what is a momma to do? Get creative! What I came up with is a churro inspired mini muffin. I baked my “churros” in a muffin pan only filled halfway so that the outside would develop a crunchier texture. I held my breath, served them to my family, and they were a hit!!!! So how does one make a churro inspired mini muffin? Let’s get to it……

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup softened real butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1/2 cup milk

In a bowl, combine your flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Next add in the softened butter and sugar. Using a mixer, add in the vanilla, egg and milk.  The resulting batter will be thick and easy to spoon into your greased muffin pans. Fill each hole half way with batter. Bake your mini muffins at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.


Cinnamon Sugar Topping:
1 stick of real butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon cinnamon

While your mini muffins are baking, melt a stick of butter. This will be used to dip the muffins in so the cinnamon/sugar mixture sticks. Use real butter! Margarine will make the muffins soggy. Once the muffins are done baking, quickly dip them in the melted butter and roll in the cinnamon/sugar mix.


While these churro mini muffins may not look like a churro or have been fried, let me tell you, the taste is awesome. I made 18 of them and they were all gone in 24 hours. So I am almost positive they were a hit! The sad part is that I only got two of them! Ugh, those country kids!!! Guess I better go whip up some more, and this time hide some for myself!

54 comments:

  1. I have never had these 'churros'. Never heard of them. It sounds good though. I would definitely like to try it. It will be a good activity to do with my stepson as he is coming over this weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Churros are yummy, with whipped cream and chocolate sauce. Find a good Mexican restaurant and try them! The mini muffins are good but for an authentic taste and to compare... you really have to try a churro!

      Delete
  2. We love churros and can get them pretty easily here in So Cal. I've never tried making them before but I might try as your recipe sounds easy enough to give it a go, and they are soooo good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Michigan, we don't get them very often LOL Mexican restaurants are our only option.

      Delete
  3. These sound yummy, thanks for sharing at Good Morning Mondays. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Churros are a favourite of mine. The best I ever had were at a Mexican tourist spot in Baja below Ensenada. A woman had a cart with a large vat of oil (probably lard) bubbling on top. She squeezed the batter into the hot oil with a bag with a star point on one end. They made a huge spiral while they cooled. She flipped it onto a pan with cinnamon sugar. the spiral was broken into pieces and stuffed into a newspaper cone. Hot, crispy and sweet. I can still taste them. But of course, they were probably not as healthy as the baked version. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who cares about healthy! LOL Churros rock.

      Delete
  5. These are making my mouth water! Found you on Flashback Fridays :) Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. visiting from time for season linky...I have made these...they are great! And easy to make! I have not found they are very good next
    day, kind of soft, but still nicely edible!
    Cheri
    www.fabricandmemories.blogspot(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Ours never made it to the second day!

      Delete
  7. This is my kind of meal. I love churros. This looks and sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty good if I do say so my self :)

      Delete
  8. I love churros and can't wait to try your recipe! Thanks for linking this up at Mum-bo Monday, your post will be featured this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look so yummy!! Looks like others love them as much as me ;) You were my fav pick from last week's Teach Me Tuesday party and will be featured this week!!
    Thanks so much for linking up with us every week! Grab a button if you haven't already.

    Have an awesome week!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look quite tasty and perfect for my never-ending-sugar craving!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YUM!!! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! Your recipe has been pinned to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! Please join us again this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the pin! You know I wouldn't miss it :)

      Delete
  12. These look amazing!!!! Thanks for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." I can't wait to see what you'll share this week! :-) http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2015/03/try-new-recipe-tuesday-march-10.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for hosting. I really do enjoy coming to see you each week.

      Delete
  13. Thanks for joining us last Thursdayon #PureBlogLove with your awesome, awesome recipe! I love the idea of Churro Inspired Muffins!
    Besos
    Heidy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you whip some up. They are yummo!

      Delete
  14. These look so great! pinned to try and shared!! Thanks for linking up at totally terrific tuesday!
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the pin. I do hope you make some.... they are nummy!

      Delete
  15. Loving these churros and how you got creative! Reminds me of when we had churros with hot chocolate in Spain. :) Thanks for stopping by and sharing this on Five Friday Finds! I'm looking forward to what you share this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I bet these would be so good with hot coco! Thanks for the idea :)

      Delete
  16. How delicious, I love things like this. Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!! Laura@Baking in Pyjamas

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this recipe, and I bet even my kids would eat this one... Three kids, three different tastes, so anything that bridges the gaps is a lifesaver to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two kids, luckily, similar tastes.... hate dinners but love mom's baking LOL

      Delete
  18. Great homemade churro inspired recipe!
    Thanks
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very creative! Those look delicious and it's breakfast time! These are making me hungry! Thanks for sharing with #overthemoon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty good LOL I'm not gonna lie. Sorry to make you hungry.

      Delete
  20. What a delicious idea- I am a lover of anything that involves churros!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'll take 20 of these!! YUM!

    Pinned!!

    I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Pinned! I've never had a churro before, but these look yummy =)

    Blessings,
    Edye | Http://gracefulcoffee.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. you are genius love this churro inspired muffin, thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop, pinning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm no genius, I just love to bake (and eat LOL)

      Delete
  24. These sounds like the perfect fall comfort food! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. These look delicious! I could eat several right now. Thanks for sharing on the Homestead Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, I can't wait to try making these! Thanks for this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my goodness! These look delicious! Thank you for sharing with us on the Art of Home-Making Mondays at Strangers & Pilgrims on Earth! :)

    ReplyDelete