Thursday, July 17, 2014

Italian Cookies With a Twist

So one thing I have never mention before (at least I don't think) is that I have some wonderful Italian blood running through my veins. My great grandparent immigrated from Italy and Sicily. In her very old age, the woman who once made yummy biscotti, began to refer to Ritz cracker as cookies (insert gagging here.) It saddened me that I never got the chance to bake with her. So many wonderful culinary secrets left this world with her. But I digress.... you're here about some cookies.....

What we have here folks is the basic traditional Italian Easter Cookie. Let's face it, every Italian family puts there own spin on this simple recipe. Some add lemon or almond flavor, it really is a personal thing. I added a few simple, commonly used American spices, nothing that would scare my hubby like anise. I personally love black licorice flavor! Hubby, not so much. These cookies also come in a variety of shapes. There is the flattened ball, which is what I made, but you can get fancy and do twists or braids! I am about to hand you the basic recipe and you can run with it as far as your taste buds desire!!! You add your twist!!

  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 1/2 stick of butter, softened
  • 3 eggs
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 3 cups flour (We like to mill our own with our WonderMill)
  •  I added in 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, but feel free to experiment! That's half the fun of baking!
  • Powdered sugar and a dash of milk to make a glaze
  • Colored sugar and/or sprinkles

Start by combining the sugar, oil, orange juice, butter and eggs in a bowl. Once those ingredients are combined, add in the baking powder, baking soda, salt and vanilla. Now go grab your mixer. *gasp* I know, I rarely us one of those, but this is a thick dough and you arm will be tired trying to get all the flour mixed in!


For my cookies, I used half of a heaping spoonful of dough. I rolled them in the palms of my hands and placed them on an UNgreased cookie sheet. I the used the palm of my hand to slightly flatten them. This makes them cook more evenly and easier to decorate later on, in my opinion. Preheat your over to 350 degrees. Now depending on how large you made your cookies, they will bake for 10-15 minutes. Mine took 10 minutes. Just remember, bigger means longer.



While the cookies are baking, grab some milk and powdered sugar to make a thicker glaze to dip the cookie tops in. This is what will secure the traditional colored sugar to the tops of the cookies. We also used some other cookie decorating sprinkles, as well as an ice cream topping type sprinkle. Remember, baking is about experimenting. Once the cookies have been dipped, put the colored sugar/sprinkles on fairly fast as the powdered sugar mixture will set up into a glaze pretty quickly.

So what are you waiting for? Get baking and then grab a nice glass of milk and a plate of Easter, ummm I mean anytime Italian cookies. Who says it has to be Easter! And if you need further proof that these cookies rock.... check out the littlest country kid who was snitching dough left and right before they were even baked!!

"I'm not doing anything...."

30 comments:

  1. Sounds so good....but I am not dieting....watching what I eat.....BORING! Not your recipe; the food watching. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are good and if you look, there is not a lot of sugar in them *wink*

      Delete
  2. Mindie,
    I'm 1st generation Italian-American by my Father and 2nd generation by my Mother. I love Italian recipes, especially if they're family recipes. Pinned.
    I'd love it if you brought this post to the #GetHimFed Fridays linky party here: http://bakewelljunction.wordpress.com/2014/07/18/man-food-linky-party-gethimfed-fridays-no-44/
    The linkup is open until late Sunday night. It's a weekly party.
    Annamaria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already hopped you guys this week but I will bring it over next Friday, I promise! Thanks so much for the pin!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for posting. I'm 100% Italian. There are not many opportunities for my culture here on the Colorado prairie where I homestead. I'll try these soon- I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cookies look great and all those colorful sprinkles would certainly get some attention from my little ones! I could bribe them to do some geography work and learn a bit about Italy before they could eat them. :) Pinning!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not bribing... it is incentive LOL

      Delete
  5. Delicious cookies and such a pitty you didn't have the chance to inherit all this beautiful food knowledge! Thanks for coming and linking up at The Weekend Social. All posts get pinned on our pinterest board! Please be sure to come back next week starting Thursdays at 9PM EST on culinaryflavors.gr! I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this recipe.
    I noticed the sugar amount :)
    I believe I can eat these.

    I'm visiting from Friendship Friday

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for linking up to Teach Me Tuesday last week. You are very much appreciated. Hope to see you again this week!! http://3glol.net/2014/07/28/teach-tuesday-14/

    Have a great week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So fun. I love that you can add your own toppings! Thanks for linking at Yuck Stops Here. Hope to see you again this week. Chrystal @ YUMeating

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks so yummy! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! Your recipe has been pinned to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! Please join us again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mindie, my grandparents on one side and my great-grandparents on the other were all from Italy! :-) These cookies remind me of ones they used to make. Thanks for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." Looking forward to seeing what you'll share this week. http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2014/07/try-new-recipe-tuesday-july-29.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could bring back some good memories!

      Delete
  11. Gotta love a versatile recipe! Your cookies look quite festive. :) Thanks for stopping by and sharing this on Five Friday Finds! I'm looking forward to what you share this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love bakng cookies and I am always looking for new recipes. Thanks for sharing at #overthmoon! Please visit Wonderful Wednesday if you are in the neighborhood! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look so good! I love Italian cookies and enjoy perusing the shelves of the local Italian market.. So glad you joined us at the Art of Home-Making Mondays at Strangers & Pilgrims on Earth this week! :)

    P.S. I agree with your husband on the licorice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love his expression, also cookies looks delicious, thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop. pinning and tweeting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The cookies look yummy! Thanks for joining the Homestead Blog Hop last week!

    ReplyDelete

Print