Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Homestead Tips on Tuesday: 9 Health Benefits of Cloves

If you like to cook or bake, I bet you have clover in your cabinet right now. If you don't, you should! Why? Because clovers are good for so much more then flavor! Seriously, they have health benefits as well! How do I know?

Well you see, in college I had my wisdom teeth removed, during the healing process I got what is called a "dry socket." They hurt like heck. So I called the dentist and drove well over an hour to have him help me. As he was packing the hole I started smelling a familiar smell..... I looked at him and asked "Are you using cloves?" And he admit it was! I had driven over an hour for him to make a clove paste to relieve my pain, when I so could have handled it at home if I had know. Not to mention he charged and arm and a leg!

So what are cloves good for? Well I am glad you asked.....
  1. Toothaches - Cloves are anti-inflammatory and have analgesic components which means they will help reduce the swelling around a problem tooth and relieve the pain. You can make your own paste with a little ground cloves and olive oil.
  2. Joint Pain - Since cloves are an anti-inflammatory and posses analgesic properties it helps reduce inflammation and alleviate joint and arthritis pain as well as muscle aches. Just mix some clove oil with olive oil and rub on the affected area for relief. 
  3. Headaches - Put a few drops of clove oil on a piece of cloth on your forehead and leave it on for about 20 minutes to help open the blood vessels which will help alleviate your headache.
  4. Nausea and Vomiting - Something about the smell of cloves is soothing to the human body. By putting a few drops of clove oil on a cloth and sniffing it, you can combat nausea and morning sickness. For vomiting mix ground cloves in honey and swallow.
  5.  Respiratory - Cloves can be used to treat a common cold, stuffy nose, sore throat, and sinus issues. Just drink a few cups of clove tea when your ill or put clove oil in hot hot water and inhale the steam.
  6. Stress - Cloves contain a component called Eugenol, which is a muscle relaxant. Just put a few drops of clove oil in your bath water and enjoy a nice long relaxing soak.
  7. Earaches - Simply mix one tablespoon of crushed cloves in 1/4 cup of hot olive oil and let it set for 20-30 minutes. Strain the oil and put a few drop in the ear for 10-15 minutes before draining. 
  8. Mouth/Bad Breath - Since cloves have antiseptic properties, they can kill the bacteria in your mouth that cause bad breath. You can either chew a few whole cloves or swish with a clove tea a few times a day.
  9. Digestion - Cloves have carminative properties which means they prevent gas formation. Cloves are soothing to your gastrointestinal tract as well, thus alleviating gast and stomach aches. The oils in cloves reduce inflammation and can combat stomach infections. How do you get these benefits? Just use cloves in your cooking!

So what are you waiting for? Stock up on cloves and alleviate what ails you!


**Homestead Tips on Tuesday is a weekly series where we help you learn skills, tips, and trick to help you on your journey of homesteading. Many places post list of things you should/could do as far as homesteading skill, but I feel lists are at times overwhelming and can make people give up before they even start. So every Tuesday I share one thing for you to try or consider. I hope you join us every Tuesday and I would love to hear about your adventures with each weeks topic.**


6 comments:

  1. I never knew cloves had so many uses:) Thanks for sharing at the Teach Me Tuesday Linky Party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you seen the post I did on all the cool stuff you can use baking soda for? Now that one is mine blowing LOL

      Delete
  2. I am always interested in "Eat this Why?" info. Thanks for sharing at #theWeekendSocial. Pinned. See you Thursday 9:00 PM EST.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing with Adorned From Above's Link Party
    Debi @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete

Print