Thursday, July 24, 2014

Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter "Buckeyes"

Two things that really do go together.... chocolate and peanut butter! One of the greatest candies ever made is the "Buckeye." It's called that because it is supposed to look like a buckeye nut. I, however, really don't care what my candy looks like, so I dabbled with the Buckeye recipe and cover it completely with chocolate. More chocolate is always better, right? Chocolate.... peanut butter... *drool*

This easy to make recipe will put a smile on your face and likely a pound (or two) on your hips if you don't share them! But they are so good, it might be hard to share.


Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
  • 3/4 cup softened butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 5 cups powdered sugar
  • 4-5 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips

First things first, get some waxed paper and line your cookie sheet. Next grab a bowl and cream together the peanut butter, butter, vanilla and powdered sugar. The mix should be slightly dry looking. If your mix seems too moist you can sprinkle in a little more powdered sugar, but you shouldn't need to. Next your going to roll the dough into balls about an inch in size and place on the waxed paper. Now at this point, pace a toothpick in each one. This will make it easier to cover them in chocolate later. Place the cookie sheet in the freezer for about an hour.

While your dough is chillin (get it) it is time to get the chocolate ready. In a double boiler melt your chocolate. No double boiler you say? Fear not! Place the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. Keep stirring till the chocolate is all melted and smooth. Now go grab that cookie sheet of candies and start dipping!! Now if you want them to look like buckeyes, leave a portion of the peanut butter undipped. But if your like me..... I drowned them!

Now one note about my photo, yours will look MUCH nicer. I kept getting distracted by my kids and the chocolate kept cooling. Then when I tried to have them help.... well they don't dip very fast and we kind of got "character" or as I like to call it.... you can see the love! No matter how they look, they are to die for!


40 comments:

  1. These are my husbands favorite Christmas dessert. In fact his Aunt Ginger makes him a special double decker tin that's all his and only his every year. This year he was on a diet so he stuck them in the freezer and here it is July and we still have two to three balls left.

    Which means this is perfect timing now I can make him some and become his favorite lady again. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homemade candy type things. These look amazing. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love their "character!" These actually looked so good when I saw them on Share Your Stuff Tuesdays I had to stop by to remind you to swing by The Yuck Stops Here to share them with us as well. I always look forward to seeing you there. Don't forget the party starts tonight at 8pm ET on my blog, Hot Momma's Kitchen Chaos! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you came! I'll definately be including these delicious bon bons in the roundup! HUGS

      Delete
  4. Delicious. I'm pinning this. They sound delicious almost like reese's cups...I love peanut butter and chocolate and this is a very simple no bake dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! Gonna have to try making these! I've have Peanut Butter Buckeyes before, but never tried making them myself. thanks for sharing!
    Ann @ Cairn Cottage
    http://cairncottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are so easy even a mom with two crazy boys and a nutty dog managed to make em! LOL

      Delete
  6. Yum! My husband would love these to bits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't had buckeyes in years! Yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look delicious! I just printed the recipe and am now pinning to Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't had a buckeye since I was a kid. I'll have to try your recipe - I bet they are as good as I remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the littlest country kid is any indicator..... yeah..... he was like a junkie.... begging and shaking wanting more and more LOL

      Delete
  10. I grew up in Ohio and love buckeyes. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I am in Michigan you know those good Ohio goodies made it north!

      Delete
  11. I'm sold. Making these this weekend. I love chocolate and peanut butter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I apologize in advance for the weight you might gain pigging out on them! LOL

      Delete
  12. These look amazing!! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! Your recipe has been pinned to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! Please join us again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not sure life gets any better than peanut butter and chocolate together. Will definitely be trying these. I'm so happy I have all the ingredients already.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my yumminess!!! Thank you for sharing your sweet blog at the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop . Watch for your feature on Monday xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Simplicity and #PeanutButter... heaven! Thanks for sharing at #theWeekendSocial. Please join us again Thursday at 9:00 PM EST. http://www.theKitchenChopper.com Off to pin!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness these sound good! Pinning them:)

    Thanks for linking up to the Feature Friday Link Party!

    Danielle @ Blissful & Domestic
    Creating Beautiful on Less
    www.blissfulanddomestic.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pinning and I hope you enjoy!

      Delete
  17. My mom used to make these all the time when I was younger. Only she called them PB Balls. Thanks for linking at #stoptheyuck and I hope to see you again this week. Chrystal @ YUM eating

    ReplyDelete
  18. I made these around Christmas time last year. They are awesome!!

    Thanks for sharing with us at Teach Me Tuesday. You are very much appreciated! We hope to see you back again this week. Starts tonight @ 8pm CST.
    http://3glol.net/2014/08/04/teach-tuesday-15/
    Have an awesome rest of your week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't let people know that you know how to make them or they will just keep asking you to make more! LOL

      Delete
  19. Mindie, these look SO good! I have never tried to make them, but you are definitely inspiring me. I know my kids would love them. Thanks for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." I look forward to seeing what you'll share this week. http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2014/08/try-new-recipe-tuesday-august-5.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guys will have fun licking your fingers *wink*

      Delete
  20. I just love chocolate and this post is making my mouth water just thinking of those yummy gobs of goodness! Thanks for sharing at Mom's Library this week. You have been featured at Pounds4Pennies. I can't wait to see what you cook up this week!

    ReplyDelete

Print