Thursday, July 3, 2014

Campfire Cones

With summer comes backyard BBQs and camping fires..... and that means S'mores, right? Well here is a twist on the old boring s'more with a few hidden surprises! Now you may be saying to yourself, oh I saw that on Pinterest, and your right. There is this one amazing photo floating around, and no matter how hard I tried to find a link back to where it came from, I couldn't! No directions on doing it, nothing. And if you notice, it is a "before" photo of some filled cones.... but did you ever notice, there are no "after" photos floating around? Yeah and I am going to tell you why....


First you need WAFFLE cones to make these. None of the other types work, trust me on this one. Get some chocolate chips, mini marshmallows, and fruit. We used strawberries and bananas in our cones. Let each person fill their cone to the top with what they like and then wrap them in tinfoil. We put ours on the grill and actually forgot about them! Yikes!! But it turned out to be a great mistake! Instead of the slightly melted s'mores type filling, we had total melt down of ingredients.

When we opened that tinfoil, it was U-G-L-Y looking and the cone was all softened and flattened out. Utter disappointment...... or was it? With in a few minutes of starting to cool, the cones starting firming back up and that ugly mess, well is smelled like heaven! Cautiously, because the inside fruit liquid was HOT coming out of the heat, we all tried our campfire cone and OMG.... that heavenly smell was nothing compared to the divine flavor!!! The chocolate mingled with the strawberries, the marshmallow danced with the banana, it was a party in our mouths!


But then my hubby said "I bet this would be great over ice cream." and you know what? I didn't think it could get any better, but it did!!! So if your looking for an incredibly yummy desert, throw some of these bad boys on the fire for about 10 minutes and enjoy a little bit of heaven!!

54 comments:

  1. OMG! Just looking at that makes my mouth water. I may have to give it a try this weekend. I am not a s'more lover, marshmallows are not on my favorite foods list but that looks amazing:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly the fruit is center stage on this one!

      Delete
  2. Looks good! I hate to say but I HATE BBQing, unless it's spring or fall. Too hot for me. It was 100 today, and I cooked in the A/C :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haa haa it was in the 50s here yesterday and might make it to the 70days today. Perfect BBQ weather.

      Delete
  3. We love campfire cones, only I make them in the oven. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought to make them in the oven! *slaps forehead*

      Delete
  4. This looks so good! Perfect for summer time too! Can't wait to try!! www.redeemingtheday.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are awesome! We love making them any chance we get.

      Delete
  5. Love this idea! I'm not a big marshmallow fan--but my kids are-- so, I love that everyone can just put what they want in. And the ice-cream with sounds heavenly! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so fun to let everyone pick their own stuff to put in. It's like a sundae bar but better!

      Delete
  6. This is such a great idea! We just put in a fire pit in the backyard - I'm going to have to try this soon. Pinning to remember

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. LOL They are so fun to make and yummmmmmmmy!!!! Hope you enjoy!

      Delete
  8. Just pinned and will be sharing on FB over the weekend!!! Love this idea

    Hugs from Freedom Fridays

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look SO yummy! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! Your recipe has been pinned to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! Please join us again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love our backyard s'mores in the fire pit. Even simple roasted marshmallows. I think I am going to buy the stuff to make these as we are celebrating my birthday next weekend and this might be a fun family birthday treat. Thanks for linking at the Yuck Stops Here. Chrystal @ YUMeating

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When that fruit starts to caramelize and everything gets gooey, it's heaven. Happy birthday!

      Delete
  11. Oh my goodness! I so need to make these and soon! :-) Thanks for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." Can't wait to see what you'll share this week. http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2014/07/try-new-recipe-tuesday-july-15.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haa haa yes, the s'more has grown up and it is gooood LOL

      Delete
  12. Thank you for sharing your fantastic blog post on #TheWeekendSocial ! I am always thrilled to see your amazing contributions to the Link Party! I hope to see you again this Thursday at 9 PM EST.
    XoXo
    Heidy L. McCallum

    ReplyDelete
  13. These looks pretty good! Featured them on Mom's Library this week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a good idea! I would never have thought of it. Great with some foil pack meals too. :) Thanks for stopping by and sharing this recipe with us - you're featured this week on Five Friday Finds! I'm looking forward to what you share this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feature! Foil meal and dessert time!

      Delete
  15. both hubby and son would LOVE these, have to try them. Thanks for sharing. Stopping by from #TickleMyTastebuds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by! Now go make them some! LOL

      Delete
  16. never tried campfire cones before, clearly i am missing out!!! got to try these with the kids this summer! thanks for sharing :) pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds delicious, ice-cream would make it better I agree, linked up after you #wednesdaywisdom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ice cream makes them grand! I hope you make some :)

      Delete
  18. I think they look fine but even if they didn't I bet they tasted delicious. Thanks for sharing with us at #WednesdaysWisdom

    ReplyDelete
  19. You always come up with marvelous ideas , I love the look of your cones. Thank you for sharing on #wednesdayswisdom

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my gosh, this sounds way too good. I'm drooling thinking of all these flavors along with the ice cream! What a great summer dessert, can't wait to try this, pinned :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Now I'm craving them. Good thing I don't have cones. Ha...I sure will the next time the grandchildren come. They will love this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't keep cones on hand!?!?! LOL We do in the summer :)

      Delete
  22. How fun are these!! Looks so good too! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! Your recipe has been pinned to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! Please join us again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for sharing at the Homestead Blog Hop! Hope to see you again this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thisamazing post is being featured on my blog today as part of Tuesdays with a Twist blog hop: http://www.godsgrowinggarden.com/2015/06/time-to-link-up-tuesdays-with-twist-116.html
    Thanks & have a lovely day!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is great I cant wait to try this with my son, adding this for sure to our summer bucket list.
    ~Saprina
    www.SaprinaSays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hop you enjoy them as much as we do :)

      Delete
  26. Yummy! Looks perfect for dessert after a foil pack meal. :) Thanks for stopping by and sharing this recipe with us - you're featured this week on Five Friday Finds!

    ReplyDelete

Print