Thursday, June 26, 2014

Salt Caramel Pineapple Upside Down Cake

My hubby is not an emotional man. Wait, what does this have to do with cake? Be patient, I'm getting there.... Like I said, he is a man of very few emotional out pourings. When I present him with this lovely pineapple upside down cake, I was a little taken aback by his response. He gushed!!! Yes, my manly man, who rarely shows any emotion G-U-S-H-E-D about how great the cake was. He even suggested entering it in a cake contest, should I ever have the opportunity! He told his dad about the cake.....  Yes folks, this twist on your standard pineapple upside down cake is, well, just that awesome!

This cake is easy to slap together.... I mean my sou chef is an eight year old boy and we knocked it out of the park on this one. So grab yourself some rum, for the cake, though if you want to take a nip, that is your business and lets impress the heck out of whoever your so choose.


For the caramel sauce you will need:
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 stick of unsalted butter
1 1/2 teaspoon of salt
3 tablespoons of rum

On medium heat in a sauce pan whisk together the brown sugar and butter. Brink it to a boil for around 3 minutes, keep whisking so your sugar doesn't burn! It will turn a darker color and thicken into a caramel sauce. Pull the pan off the burner and add in your salt and rum. Be aware, you are gonna smell that rum! Whisk it all together and pour it into a 9 inch GREASED circular cake pan, Set the pan to the side to cool while you make the cake batter.

For the cake you will need:
1 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 cup sugar
1 stick unsalted butter
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 can of pineapple rings

Mix the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together in a bowl and set to the side. In another bowl, combine the sugar and butter using a mixer. When it is blended together add in the vanilla and eggs and continue to mix. Next add the dry ingredients and the milk. The batter is going to be THICK, fair warning, don't freak out.

Take your pan with your cooled caramel sauce and place pineapple rings on top of the sauce. Next pour (or push) the batter into your pan and spread evenly over the pineapple rings. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes. Do the toothpick test to make sure it is done. Let the cake cool in the pan for about 30 minutes before sliding a knife around the edge. Place a plate over the pan, flip it, lift the pan and bask in the glory of the "most amazing pineapple upside down cake ever!!!" And yes, yes I am quoting my hubby!

39 comments:

  1. While I'm not a rum fan sounds good! I always bake mine in a cast iron skillet, and it looks fab! I used home dried cherries too, or currants...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can hardly taste the rum..... it just adds another "note" to the flavor.

      Delete
  2. This looks delicious! Thanks for sharing! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I was just out browsing some new blogs and came across yours from the Wake up Wednesday hop! So glad I found your blog :) I'm excited to be following along via Bloglovin and GFC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please share your recipes with my readers too by just signing my linky! Thanks and Happy Fourth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Pineapple Upsidedown Cake. And, salted caramel. Oh..I..just don't know how long I can go without trying this recipe! Lovely! Pinned and shared. Thanks for linking with us at The Yuck Stops Here Chrystal @ YUMeating

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a caramel freak-can't wait to try this! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! Your recipe has been pinned to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! Please join us again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks amazing. I am going to try it for my guy! :-) Thanks for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." I can't wait to see what you'll share this week. http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2014/07/try-new-recipe-tuesday-july-8th.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made a double recipe and it is in the oven now. One for us and one for some friends who have had some recent misfortune. The batter was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pans overflowed so it was fortunate that I put them on cookie sheets but the cake looks very dark, like a spice cake. Is that normal? Is it from using backyard eggs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tasted it tonight and it tastes good but too salty for everyone so I will cut the salt in half or more for next time.

      Delete
    2. My hubby loves salt caramel but it is not everyone's cup of tea for sure. Playing with recipes is half the fun. An yes the cake looks dark when you turn it out of the pan but it should have been a lighter color inside.

      Delete
    3. It is a dark tan color. Funny, the next day the pineapple pieces taste more salty than the cake. So like a tenderloin, it tastes better the next day.

      Delete
  10. Sounds delish, thanks for sharing. Visiting from the Cookie Puzzle :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You always know how to make me want to bake Mindie, I can understand why your man gushed. Thank you so much for sharing on #wednesdayswisdom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baking is not hard, really. Give it a go!

      Delete
  12. I love salted caramel, it sounds wonderful in this pineapple upside down cake! Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend? I hope you will join us again next Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the caramel with the pineapple!! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! Your recipe has been pinned to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! Please join us again this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great combo if I do say so myself LOL And hubby agreed!

      Delete
  14. What a great, sweet flavorful cake! Thank you so much for sharing this on Making Memories Mondays! Hope to see you back Sun night 9PM EST! :-)
    Cathy@threekidsandafish{dot}com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds delicious and I appreciate you sharing this with us at Good Morning Mondays so that we can make our own men gush. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Make em gush, keep their belly full and all is right in the world. :)

      Delete
  16. This looks so delicious and I love caramel. I might try to make my man gush with this recipe! Thanks for sharing with us at #WednesdaysWisdom

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like pineapple upside down cake, and James is a fan of salted caramel, so I think this might work for us. :) Thanks for stopping by and sharing this recipe with us - you're featured this week on Five Friday Finds!

    ReplyDelete

Print