Friday, June 13, 2014

Adventures in Home DIY: Replacing a Sub-floor (Yeah We're Nuts)


Our house is over 100 years old... it has "character." But sometimes that character becomes, well, beyond acceptable. For instance, our bathroom floor.... it was getting to the point you could peek into the basement in places! I was getting nervous about sitting on the floor by the tub to bath the littlest country kid in the evenings. I had horrible thoughts of me ending up in the basement it was so bad!

So we hired a contractor, right? Wrong!! Why? We could so do this ourselves!! Oh yes, we started this project with much excitement and high hopes. But then the neighbor who has some construction background and was going to help us had a change of plans. And the second person with construction background who was going to take his place got hired for a new job.... we were alone in this. No problem, right?

My folks who are "older" (I don't dare call them old or get whacked) came on the appointed Saturday to help us. My mother had some knowledge and well my dad is a great supervisor. *wink* I watched the country kids and feed the troops while they and my hubby tore out the old floor, right down to the studs. I'll admit, it was scary but I still had hope this was going to be a piece of cake......

My father and I went to get the materials for rebuilding the floor and that is when I should have know, this was NOT going to be a cake walk. Upon returning home, we realized that the "expert" at the contractors desk was a total numb nutz!!! He had messed up the first item they brought out to load and I immediately went in to return it and get the right stuff. Little did I know while I was inside and they were loading the rest, they were loading more of the wrong materials!!! When we got home we realized the numb nutz had sold us drywall for a floor!?!?! In my defense, I wasn't there when they loaded it.

So we went back to the big box home improvement store to return and replace stuff. Good thing we took the whole load because not one thing he sold us would have worked, not even the screws!! Ugh, we were now behind schedule and this simple project was going to heck fast. By the end of the first day we only had one piece of 3/4 inch plywood in. So much for getting a small bathroom floor done in a day.

Sunday started out as slow as Saturday had ended and by now, nerves were beginning to fray.... not just mine, but everyone was starting to get a case of the grumps. Children were getting annoying, things were going slow, everyone had an opinion on how to do each little step...... what had we gotten into!?!?! The second piece of 3/4 inch plywood went down some time after lunch.... there was no way we would finish this today..... again.

Our bathroom is small.... about 35 square feet is all we were replacing. How could this get so out of hand? My mother commented how she had seen way too much of my hubby's rear, you know, the old plumber's crack. My hubby complained that my mother had passed gas in close quarters! My father was sitting on the edge of the tub and fell in, having to be extracted at one point. My bathroom was a three ring circus!!!

I will say that by some amazing miracle, when my folks left late Sunday night, we at least had all the wood down. We had covered the 3/4 inch plywood with 1/4 inch plywood to help bring the floor level back up, as there where SEVERAL floor coverings on the old floor. We could walk into the bathroom now without fear of falling into the basement! We could finally get the country kids in the tub!!! And trust me, they needed it! They were taking dirty to a whole new level.

On Monday, hubby and I set to work.... we got the toilet flange at the proper height, laid out the new flooring material and reset the toilet and the sink. It was done.... well done enough for now. I no longer had to worry about falling through, but the beautiful new floor makes the rest of the bathroom look awful! I see a wall redo in the near future..... Will we hire someone? Heck no! If we can do the floor, how bad could the walls be!?!?! (and yes, that is a rhetorical question..... don't tell me we are nuts, I already know we are!)




19 comments:

  1. Looks good! We re-did our bathroom this spring ourselves, except the flooring and complicated plumbing. We had to pull/replace the tub/shower, and part of the wall. It looks great though, and we got rid of the part of the flooring that was getting a bit of rot...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy I am so not looking forward to doing the walls LOL But I see it coming..... ugh.

      Delete
  2. We redid our bathroom floor a few years ago, but we really didn't have any idea what we were doing and I see a redo coming in the near future. At least this time we have a bit more know how and it should go more easily and a lot faster! (snort snort snicker)! Yours looks beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks Mary. Yeah the "next time" we do it, not. LOL Never again!!!!

      Delete
  3. Awe, come on now it gets easier as you go. The more you do the more excited you get to redo something else. Maybe the kitchen, bedroom, a new room! To let you know when I married and left home I had no clue that I would help build from scratch not one but three houses. Each time I got a little better and more confident and really began to enjoy and look forward to the outcome of our hard work. Good luck for future projects! And the walls, take a note from the little engine, "You can do it, you can do it"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it funny how one thing leads to another? The floor looks great, but now you want to do the walls. When the walls are done, I will bet the lights won't look right! :) It seems we have re-done almost our entire house because we had a flood in two rooms last year. BTW - walls aren't hard to do, they just take time. Have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lights!??! Great, just add another thing to the list! LOL

      Delete
  5. Too funny :) Glad you got it in finally! We had something similar last week with our kitchen floor. Still not sure I am ready to blog it though! Good luck with the walls!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! I would love it if you joined and contribute your awesome posts at my link party at City of Creative Dreams, starts on Fridays :D Hope to see you there at City of Creative Dreams Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think y'all did a great job!! I need to redo all of my floors in my "character" filled home :)

    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best thing about a home with character.... hubby can't say he is bored, there is always something that can/needs to be done! LOL

      Delete
  8. Ahhhhh -- yes, the many learning curves of DIY! Including keeping a hawk eye on the home center "helpers" at all times! And watch out with that "never again" attitude in the comments. It'll gitcha every time. We're now in the midst of our second full house renovation from "never again". LOL The new floor looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL no really never again..... I'll hire next time.... my crew was, well...... I love em.

      Delete
  9. You as nutz as I am girl!! LOL. Looks amazing, At least the three ring circus got it done ;) Thanks for linking up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL: Yeah.... thank goodness it is done!!!

      Delete
  10. What wonderful writing Mindie. I was laughing the whole way through it. Thanks so much for sharing this with our Let's Get Real readers. I think you have convinced me not to replace my floors. However, the results are really beautiful. What type of flooring did you use? I'm seeing wood more and more in bathrooms, but I've always worried about how they handle with water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like wood doesn't it, but no.... wood is not good in the bathroom. This is actually a roll out vinyl product and it was sooooo easy to put down!

      Delete