Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Homestead Tips on Tuesday: Homemade Pancake Mix

Nothing starts the day out right like a nice stack of pancakes! But why grab a box of store bought pancake mix when you can whip up your own mix with things you already have around your home? With just a few simple ingredients and a storage container, you can have pancake mix waiting for you on those mornings when a stack of pancakes is just calling to you!!! And the best part is there are no extra "things" in your mix like in the store bought mix! This mix stores for 3 months but I highly doubt it will last that long!

So go grab yourself the following ingredients, a bowl and a storage container!! Mix together the dry ingredients and put it in your container.... just that simple!

  • 6 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons sugar

When it is time to make pancakes just mix together the following:

  • 2 cups of your pancake mix
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups milk
  • 4 tablespoons butter

Label your container so you know that it is pancake mix and you don't have to dig for it when you need it. Also, add the ingredients that need to be added right on the container so say, your spouse wants to whip you up some, they can. If you jar them up by batches, it makes it easy to grab and go. These would be great to take along camping or if you hang a nice label on the jar of mix, you can give it as a gift! Why bother with store bought when you can make your own!!!

**Homestead Tips on Tuesday is a weekly series where we help you learn skills, tips, and trick to help you on your journey of homesteading. Many places post list of things you should/could do as far as homesteading skill, but I feel lists are at times overwhelming and can make people give up before they even start. So every Tuesday I share one thing for you to try or consider. I hope you join us every Tuesday and I would love to hear about your adventures with each weeks topic.**


32 comments:

  1. I make my own too :) So much better and the great thing is that I can make a double batch and throw some in the freezer which I can heat up whenever my son wants pancakes for breakfast, lunch, dinner or snack and I don't even have to make another batch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never frozen actual cooked pancakes.... do they hold up well?

      Delete
  2. Great idea! I love any dish where you can do things in advance. I do this with cookies sometimes - measure out all the ingredients in the morning so they are good to go and then make them in the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I am sure you could put cookie dry ingredients in jars too so you have a few ready for whenever!

      Delete
  3. This is perfect timing for me! I just had a friend ask me how I made mine and I had completely lost the recipe. I've just pinned this and am your newest follower on Twitter (@RufflesandRain). PS I found you through the Turn It Up Tuesday link party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great idea, pinning this! Perfect for gift-giving especially for breakfast lovers. Found you at Try a New Recipe Tuesday. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like! Thanks for the pin. Your friends will love you for their gifts!

      Delete
  5. Thanks! I pinned this. I saw your link at the Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the recipe...will be making it and keeping it around for those days I can eat pancakes :))

    Pinned it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome and thank you for the pin!

      Delete
  7. We have a pancake recipe that we love and this is a great idea as far as gift giving! Thanks for sharing and so glad I found your post through Thrifty Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I make chocolate mug cake mix too. We might have a chocolate addiction going on here. Thanks for sharing with Let's Get Real (I'm co-hosting this week)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you can never be addicted to chocolate.... it is good for you *wink*

      Delete
  9. I used to make homemade pancake batter but my recipe is extremely fluffy and hubby doesn't like them so I have been looking for something new to try. I know homemade is so much better than the boxed mix! Pinning. Stopping by from the Weekend Social.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Who needs Bisquick! ;) thanks so much for sharing at #theWeekendSocial. Love to have you as a "regular". See you next week. I'm off to pin your link.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this idea! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! Your recipe has been pinned to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! Please join us again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Making pancakes for my crew this morning! I make my own from scratch too. I used to keep a container of mix in the pantry - I really need to start doing this again, thank you for reminding me, and for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping by and enjoy those pancakes!

      Delete
  13. SWEET!! Been looking for something like this. My Tupperware is begging for a new mix, I think it may be pancakes! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never made my own pancake mix before. You have inspired me! Thanks for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." Hope you can join us again this week. http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2014/06/try-new-recipe-tuesday-june-10.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, it is honestly such a simple thing. Look at all that money companies are making because folks just aren't informed how simple it is to do!

      Delete
  15. We do Sunday morning pancakes in our home, so this is great! Thank you for sharing on Green Thumb Thursday.

    ReplyDelete