Friday, May 23, 2014

Ask the Farm Girl: So who are you?

Recently I received multiple question asking about who is the Farm Girl. So this week I am going to give you it all in a nutshell, so to speak. First of my name is Mindie and I am a 40 year old stay at home mom to two little boys. But my "farm" adventures started 30 years ago on 3 1/2 acres just outside of a small town is southwestern Michigan.

My parents moved to the "country" (about 1/4 mile outside the town limits) when I was ten. We had 3 1/2 acres where over the years we raised chickens, goats, sheep and lots and lots of rabbits. But it all started with one bunny that my aunt gave me. I took him to the county fair and so began my 4-H adventures. I have raised and shown animals on a local, state and national level.

When I went off to college I was tired of being "the bunny queen" and planned to get as far away from the farm life as I could. And I tried hard! I was living in Chicago at the time I met my future hubby. I was offered a job back in Michigan and we moved, bought a house, got married and started a family. It wasn't till the children came along that we really started focusing on homesteading our little 1/4 acre in a country town. I say town but we are a village actually, population under 1,200 folks. The kind of place with one real stop light, where if you order pizza from the next town over you have to meat the delivery guy at the hardware store, the kind of place where folks still don't lock their door, know their neighbors, and maybe just maybe Mayberry might have a last finger hold.

I hold a degree in History so I love learning the "old ways" and trying them out. The goal of providing my children with a less tech childhood and healthier food has focused us on activities that we as a family can do together. We raise chickens and *gasp* rabbits (yup they're back!) We garden, tap our maple trees, cure our own meats, mill our own flour, my boys love to bake and so on. Basically we're just a normal country family doing as much as we can on the land we currently occupy.


My blog, which is my personal indulgence, is a place to share with others and show folks you too can do more, no matter where you live. Seriously, take a few minutes and explore this blog, there's lots of good stuff here people! Maybe you can't grow your own strawberries, but you can get some at a farmers market and make your own jam! And I love that I can share the real us. We are not a photo shopped perfect family. We have (mis)Adventures. I think it is important for people to realize you don't have to be perfect to try. And that just because something doesn't go right the first time, never stop trying new things!

I love cheesecake, am better with critters then people, and I think farts are funny. I most likely always have some form of poo on my shoe and that's okay! I love watching Bones, making things, and hanging out with my neighbor ladies. I am not fancy, rarely wear make up, and am more of a homebody. I like to sing and dance in my livingroom and make up silly songs for my boys on a regular bases. I am over weight, curse WAY to much, and while I worry about my children's health, always put myself on the back burner. I have an odd sense of humor, mostly talking in sarcasm and love so deeply it hurts.

So who is the Farm Girl? Just a crazy lady with a big heart who loves to share. What's in our future? Who knows! We don't have a lot of money (just like most of the country) but if we "won the lottery" we would get a bigger chunk of land, a fainting goat, and maybe a pool. A girl can dream big, right? *wink* I would love somehow to make money doing my blog without selling my soul just to make a buck. Maybe I should write a book, but I doubt anyone would buy the ramblings of a cray lady. Spokeswoman for something? Hmmm.... Anyone need a spokeswoman?!?!?

If you have any other personal questions that I might not have touched on, feel free to leave a question in the comments. I promise to answer them. If you enjoy my blog, feel free to pop over to Facebook and join us for the daily dribble that is my life. I promise you will get a good giggle now and then. And thank you all for becoming a part of our (mis)Adventures family. While I would still do what I do even if no one took an interest, it is so much more fun hanging out with all of you along the way!!!


*** If you have a question for the Farm Girl (that's me!!) on homesteading, life, love, what color underwear you should wear, heck anything, serious or silly, feel free to email it to bornagainfarmgirl@gmail.com with the subject "advice." I am an open book, and while you may or may not always like the answer you get, I hope you will at least walk away with a giggle or two. ***

26 comments:

  1. I would totally buy a book that you wrote! Especially if it contained all the funny things you put on facebook! I dont know about others, but you make me feel like im experiencing things with you. I really want a baby duck like Betty, but i dont know the first thing about caring for a duck and i would be heart broken if she flew away for the winter and never returned:( anyways, just wanted you to know that i know of one book that would sell and i would actually buy a couple to give to people who i know would enjoy reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel so blessed you have shared so much. Thank you!!!
    Carmen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am basically an open book and if I didn't cover something, feel free to ask!

      Delete
  3. Absolutely loved your post! I like getting to know people no matter where we are connecting. On earth or in the ether. Blessings to you and yours!

    Marie @ http://asatisfiedspirit.com & http://countedcrossstitchcafe.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm right there with you being the country girl. We have many things in common. I look forward to learning the things that you know that I don't! I found your blog through the Pin It Monday Hop, and I'm certainly glad I did.
    As far as making money with your blog without selling your soul, have you signed up for the networks that connect bloggers with brands yet? If not, feel free to contact me at tidbitsofexperience@gmail.com and I'll head you in the right direction.
    The whole book idea...start writing woman. You captured my attention with this blog post, so I'm willing to bank you'd be a great book writer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel weird dealing with brands that don't fit, ya know. They approach me, but really don't fit my niche. That's what I mean about selling my soul. Maybe I am to picky but I feel very strongly about who I promote and take on as sponsors and feel bad when I turn folks down LOL I guess I am a big softy.

      Delete
  5. It's very nice to meet you! A great post and peek into your world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Morning Mindie! So nice to get to 'meet' you! Been following you for quite some time and love your posts!! We are quite a bit alike, scary!! Hubby and I bought 3 acres 5 years ago (he's a city kid) and I'm showing him how exciting farm life can be! Finally talked him into ducks, so we will be off on a new adventure with them. Debby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ducks are so awesome! Little clowns. I could watch ours for hours.

      Delete
  7. Nice to meet ya! When I clicked on your link from the link party I had to look closer, haha the duck threw me off. I hope your enjoying your Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL What!?!? Doesn't everyone have a duck?

      Delete
  8. I think your life sounds awesome!!! I would love to have more animals and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! Love the shot of you and the duck. Someday if I get mre space I'd have some again. I had 2 before, they were a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly the duck in the photo, Ginger, was taken by a predator not long after that photo. :( It is one of my favorite of her.

      Delete
  10. What a great post! Love the duck photo! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like folks to feel comfortable here. I know I wouldn't take advice from a stranger so I don't want to be a stranger to my readers!

      Delete
  11. I loved reading more about you and your life!

    Thanks for sharing this post on #SmallVictoriesSunday. Added to the Small Victories Sunday Pinterest board. Hope you will join in again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun post! I really enjoyed reading about you and the pictures are great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to get to know me better

      Delete
  13. Thanks for sharing! This was added as one of the favorites this week on From The Farm.

    ReplyDelete

Print