Friday, April 11, 2014

Perfect Baked Tators and toppings

This is both sad and slightly embarrassing..... I did not bake a potato till I was 40. No seriously, I just never did. I asked people how and always got "just pop it in the oven till it is done." Ummm gee can you be any less specific!?!?

So I took it upon myself to figure it out because, well, I wanted to have a baked potato bar night on the menu rotation. So after much reading, deep consideration and a few trials, I am proud to say, I know how to make the perfect baked potato for my toppings! And it does take a little more then "just pop it in the oven." Not much more mind you, but there are a few trick and tips to it.



First you need to wash your tators well. Don't soak them, but scrub them under cold running water. After you have patted them dry it is time to poke your tators. Just use a fork and stab the tator a few times on all four sides. Make sure you push the fork in deep as this helps it cook more evenly.

Once your tator is holy, it is time to bust out the oil. I used olive oil, but you could use veggie if you have to. I pour a little oil in my hands and lightly rub all the tators down and then roll them on a plate with salt to lightly coat them. You could also just sprinkle the salt over them. Why do I oil and salt my tators? To give them a nice crisper skin.

Now some folks claim you should wrap your tators in tin foil. DON'T!!! Because then your just steaming them, not baking them. Just plop your tators on your middle oven rake and place a cookie sheet beneath just in case you get any dripping. But how long do you cook a baked tator? Well it all depends on the size of said spud and the temp at which your oven is set. I like to do mine at 400 degrees and an average tator takes about 50+ minutes. You will know when they are done because you can squeeze the sides of the tator and you will feel a soft fluffy give through the skin.

Now keep in mind, the tators are hot coming out so be careful when you cut them open. The nice thing is while your tators are baking you have more then enough time to get your toppings ready for your baked potato bar. I shredded cheese, boiled up some broccoli, sauteed some mushrooms.... the possibilities are endless to what you can top your perfect baked tator with! Okay maybe some things are better left off the potato but you know what I mean.

And you can always throw a few extra tators in the oven so you can have left overs later. There is nothing like longing for a baked potato and having to wait..... now you don't have to, just put them in the fridge for later use. Need a snack? Turn the extras into potato skin appetizers. Ahhh the baked potato, oh how I love thee!!





24 comments:

  1. I'll try that! I'm not a big potato fan, ironic living in Spudsville...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy crispy suds!!! Such a great side-dish....
    Pinning!! Happy Easter to you and yours…. :)
    “hugs” Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my sweet friend you had me at potato!
    Thank you for sharing your wonderful blog at the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love baked potatoes but have never baked one! And I'm 57!!! I'm going to pin this! One day....Patsy from
    HeARTworks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it!!! Bake that tator!! It is never to late to start LOL

      Delete
  5. Yummmy!! It's one of my favorite things too! And funny I have never thought to roll them in salt. Great idea! I'll be doing that for Easter dinner. :)

    Thanks for sharing your tips at Project Inspire{d}!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love your blog! Discovered it on... peek inside my paradise link party.. Your blog brings back memories of my childhood on a farm with chickens, horses and vegetable gardens... I grew up on a apple farm in upstate NY and did all that you do! I miss it.. Your blog is a great place for me to reminise...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Maria I am so glad you found your way here and we can help you bring back good memories!

      Delete
  7. Hi Mindie - I love baked potatoes with good toppings. Thanks so much for sharing with the Let's Get Real party.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM! We love baked potatoes over here. Thank you for sharing at Tuesdays with a Twist (no rules). We hope to see you back again today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mindie, this was one of the most viewed posts from last week's Try a New Recipe Tuesday and I am featuring you this week! Yay! :-) The post should go live shortly. I am a little behind this week because of Easter. :-) Hope yours was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rubbing the potatoes down with oil is a great tip. Thanks for sharing all your secrets :) -- can't wait to make our next batch of potatoes! (Thanks for sharing at Happiness is Homemade, we'd love to have you next week too :) )

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a fan of baking potato bars!!
    I like to use our electric roasting pan.
    It is a great when you are cooking dinner for a large group.
    Thanks for sharing at the HomeAcre Hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have an electric roasting pan *snif sniff*

      Delete
  12. Looks yummy! Thanks for sharing at My Favorite Things party. Theresa @DearCreatives

    ReplyDelete