Sunday, March 2, 2014

DIY St. Patrick’s Day Garland


I love celebrating all the different holidays this great world has to offer and that of course includes St. Patrick’s day. I love being crafty and making decorations myself. One thing I don’t like is spending a lot of money to do it. Call me cheap or call me frugal, but I made this lovely garland for $1. Yes, you read that right, one dollar. I had to buy the green twine, which I picked up at the dollar store. The rest we either had or was free.

The oldest country kid and I started by raiding the paint department at a home improvement store. We snagged a variety of green paint chips (which were FREE) and headed for home to get started on our DIY St. Patrick’s Day Garland. I love using paint chips in projects because, well of course the colors are perfect, but the card stock they come on is durable.

Now you could get a template for a clover online, but I went rogue and free styled mine. I kind of had to because our printer didn't work at the time. It took a couple of tries to get it the way I wanted, but then it was just a matter of tracing them on the cards and cutting them all out. When it was time to tape the clovers to the twine (yes, we used tape because the oldest country kid, who is 7, has the patients of, well, he doesn’t have any) I was not surprised to find my child has used all my tape.

Disappointed? Yes. But not surprised. Little boys and tape, well I think he eats it because I have no clue where it all goes……So off to my tool drawer I went and grabbed my electrical tape. Where there is a will, there is a way, folks. Improvise when you must, right? I think our garland turned out darn good!! Martha Stewart I am not, but for being me, well I am proud of our results. And it only cost us a dollar!!!

16 comments:

  1. Cute idea! Yes, sometimes kids don't have a lot of patience....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sweet! And, as one who has used stickers to hold gift wrap together because I live with tape eaters too, I applaud your improvisation! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! Thanks for sharing at Share Your Stuff Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! So creative! This would be great for my son's class. I'll definitely be sharing with his teachers.
    Thanks so much for sharing on Turn It Up Tuesday! We love having you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natasha! I hope his teacher has fun raiding your local paint department! LOL

      Delete
  5. So sweet!!
    Thanks for sharing at Project Inspire{d}!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great Mindie and I definitely understand the sticky tape thing (that's what we call it here in Australia). I don't now where it goes either but I am sure my 7 year old might know :-), Great job and thanks for sharing at Good Morning Mondays. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn kids need to keep their hands of our crafting supplies! LOL

      Delete
  7. I know that feeling to well of looking in the draw only to find the last of the glue or tapes has been used! I think this is a very cute project. Thanks for linking up to Mum-bo Monday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Used up or just plain gone! LOL And then it always turns up some weird place...... Ahhh kids.....

      Delete
  8. Super cute! Pinning and sharing. Thanks for sharing at Totally Terrific Tuesday last week! Can't wait to see what you have lined up tonight!

    Sharon
    herorganizedchaos.com

    ReplyDelete

Print