Thursday, March 20, 2014

Chewy Spice Hermit Bars


If you have never heard of a Hermit, well you are certainly not alone. Hermits are considered a New England “thing.” But who says it has to stay a New England thing? I live in the Midwest and I love these bars! While many will tell you these bars keep well, I have found that they don’t last long enough to have to keep well. Yes they are that yummy!


Ingredients
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup lard (shortening)
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3 cups wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup molasses
  • Optional - raisins, pecans, dates (basically anything you want to toss in!)

In a large bowl cream together the sugar, shortening and butter. Once those are well blended added in all of the spiced, the salt and the baking soda. Add your wheat flour a little at a time and work it in well before adding the molasses. Now at this point you can toss in things like raisins, but my hubby doesn't like such things in his baked goods. And to be honest with you, they are just as good without all the extras added in.


In a greased 9x13 pan, press your mixture flat. Yes, it is a dry mixture, but trust me. Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes or until it begins to slightly pull away from the sides of the pan. Once cooled, cut into bars and gobble down!

My country kids just love these and like I said, I will never know how long you can store them for because they never last more then a couple days around our home. So what are you waiting for? Get baking!


** For a printable version of this recipe, visit the Grain Mill Wagon. I provided this recipe as part of their blogger challenge.**
 

24 comments:

  1. I have never heard of a hermit... well, other than the crab variety or the kind that describes the strange little old man down the street who never opens his blinds. This sounds like MY kind of hermit though, YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL The are called that because you could stick them away (like a hermit) for sometime and they would still be good, or so the legend goes :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard of them either but they look fabulous! I'll have to pin it so I don't forget about them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious! I love ''spicy' deserts like gingersnap and anything thing that has a little zing to it. I've never made hermit bars before. Looks like it's a good time to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen they are easy to make (the oldest country kid helped) and they are so yummy, there are gone in a couple days (and that was with me telling them no, you can't have another, wait 5 minutes geez)

      Delete
  4. These sound yummy, I have never heard of hermits, I will definitely be pinning these to try, I bet my family would love them. I would love to invite you to share your recipe at Meal Planning Monday Recipe Link-Up. :) http://www.aprilshomemaking.com/2014/03/meal-planning-monday-recipe-link-up-3.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite! I'll be popping by!

      Delete
  5. I've never heard of "hermit"bars, but I just love what I see here :)
    It's a recipe I'd love to try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your taste buds will thank you if you do :)

      Delete
  6. I'd love a hermit bar right about now. They sound delicious! I'm pinning this recipe so I can make and enjoy them this fall! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy them when ever you get around to making them!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Pin it but MAKE IT! LOL Your taste buds will thank you :)

      Delete
  8. Hi Mindie - I've never tried these but I love all of the spices in these bars and I'd love to make these! Thanks so much for sharing your recipe at Best of the Weekend! Will be pinning (and trying :) Hope you have a happy Sunday and a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy I hope you enjoy them as much as we do! Thanks for the pin too

      Delete
  9. LOL, I guess I really like your blog; I keep finding myself at your posts when I visit blog hops :-). Pinned for later.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mindie! I'm stopping in from Let's Get Real today. One of the things that I love about the blogging world is how much I learn. There is always something new to me and this week........it's hermit bars. These look like a great recipe to get the kids to help with. Lots of my favorite spices so it's sure to be a success. I'm sure they won't last very long in our house either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise they will NOT last! LOL So glad you popped in!

      Delete
  11. Oh wow! These look delicious. Thanks so much for sharing with Adorned From Above's Link Party.
    Have a great week.
    Debi and Charly

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never heard of these, either, but am going to make them and soon! :-) Just one question, how much of the molasses? It is 1/2, not sure 1/2 of what. :-) Thanks for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." I hope you will be able to join us again this week. http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2014/03/try-new-recipe-tuesday-april-1st.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *smacks forehead* CUP!!!! LOL I fixed it, thank you!!!

      Delete