Saturday, March 8, 2014

A St. Patrick's Day Tradition: To catch a leprechaun….

At our house we have lots of fun with St. Patrick‘s Day. My husband, who is a wonderful cook, usually whips up a traditional dish, and I. as the mom, add the “magic” to the day. We usually decorate with shamrock garland and leprechauns, but it doesn’t stop there. Oh no, we have a St. Patrick’s Day tradition that has become an epic battle……

A few days before St. Patrick’s Day, the leprechauns start to leave clues they are around, like green water in the toilet. I just added a few drops of green food coloring. The oldest country kid actually got mad at this one, because he said “the leprechaun needs to flush when he is done!” But it all leads up to trying to catch a leprechaun.

The first year we used a coffee can to build a trap. We covered it in green construction paper and decorated it to look like a “nice place for a leprechaun to rest.” We put a hole in the lid and a rock we covered in gold glitter inside. The oldest country kid checked it every morning in hopes of catching a leprechaun. On St Patrick’s Day my son was rewarded not with a leprechaun but a nice gold chocolate coin, which you can get at most grocery stores. He was beyond thrilled and started planning next year’s capture right away!

Each year the oldest country kid’s plans become more and more elaborate! Last years trap came with a door that flipped up and closed behind the leprechaun when he went in. Did he catch the leprechaun? Of course not! But once again he found gold chocolate coins. He is already planning this year’s trap, which he says will include a bucket of water on the trap door to wash the magic off the leprechaun so he can’t get out. Oh boy, I think we are in trouble!!!

I love that I can add some magic to life and we have a tradition that really makes the oldest country kid think and be creative. I just hope he doesn’t destroy the house trying to catch the leprechaun and get its gold! And it is only a matter of time before he gets the littlest country kid to throw in with him in his quest to catch a leprechaun. Because, when the water turns green in the toilet, my son KNOWS the leprechauns are back!!

18 comments:

  1. Such a sweet tradition. Sounds like you have a lot of fun around your homestead. Keep the activities and traditions flowing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks, we do have a good time sometimes. :)

      Delete
  2. I thought we were the only ones who did this! Yours is so much more elaborate!! On St. Patrick's Day they get a ceramic leprechaun or a snow globe as a reward from the leprechauns! My kids love it. So much better than Elf on a Shelf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The elf on the shelf totally creeps me out! LOL

      Delete
  3. I love this :-) We do some of the very same things, and I really like that you leave the clues days before! What a great idea! Checking this out from the share your stuff tuesday link party!
    Cathy
    www.threekidsandafish.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am like the holiday hype man mama. LOL Why should it be only one day?

      Delete
  4. What a fun project! Good homeschooling too.... engineering and all that! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL You and your teachable momments!!! That's why I luv ya!

      Delete
  5. Great idea, we haven't done anything other then going out to eat dinner on Saint Patty's Day. You have a cute Kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks, I think they are a little cute too but then I am the mom LOL

      Delete
  6. Such a great tradition! I love that your son is just beaming with excitement to prepare a new trap each year. It sounds like he's enjoying it and you're happy to add the magic to the day. That's a great combination!

    Thanks so much for sharing on Turn It Up Tuesday! We love having you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like so much fun! We may have to try it this year. Thanks for linking up. :D http://timeforseason.blogspot.com/2014/03/my-favorite-things-saturdays-315.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lot of fun! Also sounds like a sneaky way to develop imagination, problem solving and engineering skills to me!! lol Way to go, mom!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Saint Patrick's Day! When I was a little kid my brother and I always made a house for the leprechauns. (We didn't think to trap them... we just wanted to make them a lovely little room to spend the night in!) We would leave them a note and treats, and they would leave us a note and some kind of surprise. Once we asked for some gold, and the leprechauns left us each a little gold pin! I used to pass on this tradition to the kids I was a nanny for, and I can't wait for when I have my own kids so I can do it with them! It is so much fun to help make childhood magical for kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this day and age, children need a little more magic. And I must admit, I have lots of fun doing it :D

      Delete