Sunday, February 23, 2014

St. Patrick’s Day Center Piece

St. Patrick’s Day is coming soon, the one holiday when it seems everyone claims to have a bit O Irish in em!! Well I get my bit O Irish from my maternal grandmother, so no pinching please! We celebrate all things St. Patrick’s, from leprechauns to pots of gold. On St. Patrick’s Day we gather for a traditional meal of corn beef and cabbage. Like any other holiday, you HAVE to have a center piece for your table. Okay, maybe you don’t, BUT you could with this simple, low cost idea…….

All you need is a large mouth vase, a pillar candle, and a bag of dried split peas. I pored my peas in, then worked my candle into place before lighting it. Now you could use other green items, say green M&Ms, but at that point, you would want to switch to a battery operated candle as any young people at the table may try to snitch a few. I personally do not have the patience to pick out all the green M&Ms from a bag…. Or maybe I just know I would eat way too many trying to do it this way!!

Whatever you use as your touch of green in this center piece, it will be an eye catcher for all who sit down to enjoy a plate of food! So when you are planning your St. Patrick’s day dinner, take a second to add this little simple touch of a center piece. And don’t forget to wear some green! *wink*

24 comments:

  1. If you used green M&Ms, wouldn't they melt? I mean I know they melt in your mouth and not in your hand, but under a candle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I believe they would, that's why you should use a battery operated candle if your using chocolate :D

      Delete
  2. I found you on Busy Monday. I am big on centerpieces on my table and I love your idea--simple, but pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you for saying so. I am so busy, that lately, simply is the only way to go!

      Delete
  3. Great idea and very creative. Looks great and I love the soft glow of candle light. Thanks for sharing Visiting from MMM Link Up party. Have a wonderful healthy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love candles. They just make a house a home. Something about that glow.

      Delete
  4. I've used lentils mixed with other beans in the fall for a center piece but never though about it for St. Patty's Day. I haven't even though about the fact that it's almost that time of year much less about a dinner.

    What's a normal St. Patty's day dinner look like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corn beef and cabbage!!! I also put green food coloring in the toilet and tell my kids the leprechauns have been by. My oldest told me, well then they need to flush! Bwaaa haa haa

      Delete
  5. Haha! You crack me up! I wonder if I could justify eating all of the colors of m&ms EXCEPT green so that I could make a centerpiece? Mmm... Probably not. Best to stick with peas and avoid a diabetic coma. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! I think I would use green M&Ms just to prove the leprechauns had been there! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just put green food color in the toilet and tell them the leprechauns had taken a wee..... that's what I do!

      Delete
  7. You could use some green pips too, and a big battery votive...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See! Now your getting creative! Go with it!!

      Delete
  8. I love this! I like simple decorations so this is perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. raised in the town of Killarney, I've always had a deep love for things Irish =)
    green milkshakes coming to mind !
    thanks for posting 'green' =))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had about 3 green milkshakes already this year LOL

      Delete
  10. a good idea! Thanks for sharing this with us for MMM link up party this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for linking up with the Let's Get Real party. We hope you'll join us again this week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are all nice ideas for St Paddy's Day. I wasn't expecting for more activities as this. I was actually just browsing for St Patrick's day recipes and craft projects to consider and this centerpiece would be perfect to do =) Please allow me to pin them on my board. Thank you so much!

    meowchie.snydle.com/happy-st-patricks-day.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I would love for you to pin this! Thank you!

      Delete

Print