Thursday, February 27, 2014

No Bake Cookie Bars

Let’s face it, who doesn’t love a good no bake cookie…. but here is my problem…. Heidi the Homestead Hound. She eats anything that is left sitting for more then two second on a counter. Therein lies the problem of making no bake cookies in my house. Those darn things have to be dropped individually and left to set and then you guessed it, I turn for two seconds and GONE. All that hard work and nothing but heartbreak and disappointment.

So what is a mama to do? The country kids love no bake cookies! How can I deny them their beloved treat!?!? Well who said they had to be cookies? Who said they have to sit on the counter at all!?!?! I have come up with a way to make no bake cookies as BARS. No I am not a culinary genius, just a mom trying to do her job within the limitations of her workplace (which some days are many!)
  • ½ cup milk
  • ¼ cup butter
  • ½ cup cocoa
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • ½ cup peanut butter
  • 2 ½ cups quick oats
Place milk, butter, cocoa and sugar in a pan over medium heat and stir. Let it come to a boil and keep stirring (you don’t want the sugar to burn.) Let this boil hard for a minute then remove from the heat and add in the vanilla and peanut butter. Once that is incorporated, add your oats. Now quickly pour into a GREASED 9X13 pan and hide it to cool. Once they start to set up, use a knife to cut them into bars and then re-hide the pan. And if your pet is anything like Heidi, they will be watching you the whole time.

These are not only yummy, easy to hide from the dog, but work well in school lunches, as well as late night mommy snacks. Remember, we hide them….. from EVERYONE!!!!


30 comments:

  1. FaNtAsTiC idea!!! I too have pets that have no concept of 'stay off the counter!!!' And with a Mastiff, nothing is off limits ;) So this sounds like a real solution to what is a chronic problem!! Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pur dog is a mastiff/lab mix.... she doesn't even have to put her paws on the counter to steal!!!

      Delete
  2. Those look super yummy. Of course you can't go wrong with chocolate...right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL You can never go wrong with chocolate!

      Delete
  3. I adore no-bakes! I never thought of making them in a pan. It would be so much easier to cart to parties and such as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are easier to store, transport and hide! LOL

      Delete
  4. Why do you keep posting these delicious recipes? You are killing me. They are so easy I have NO excuse not to make them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Sorry..... I will do a recipe for something nasty next time...... NOT! :D

      Delete
  5. Can you use regular rolled oats? I never use the quick kind...

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mother actually did this the other day by pure accident and they were amazing! WE broke them up into pieces and stuck them in the fridge. Best treat ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Accidents can be some of the best things ever *wink*

      Delete
  7. How do you get these cookies to set up? Every time I make them they remain gooey and have to be eaten with a fork. I have tried everything from putting them up in the fridge, freezer, and even left them on the counter but they still remain gooey. Is there some secret to getting them set up? I always follow the directions precisely but they still come out that way. Hopefully you can help me because no one else can. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had that problem before with different recipes but I promise making them like this, with these ingredients... they will set up :)

      Delete
  8. Love no bake cookies but never thought of doing them as bars! So excited to try this out. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am going to make these today! It sounds like just the thing to hit the spot. I'm pinning, too. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the pin and enjoy! These cookies are so yummy but sooooooo much easier to make as bars. You will be whipping them out left and right!

      Delete
  10. I love the ease of no-bake anything. Thankfully my pup can't reach the counters, but the small people can. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But once they are cut up and in a small container you can hide them from the small people WAY UP HIGH :)

      Delete
  11. Those look nice and easy! Thank you for linking up to the Weekend re-Treat Link party!
    xo,
    Shannon
    www.akadesign.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon they are so easy, I may never make them as cookies again!

      Delete
  12. Oh my goodness! These look so good! I can't wait to try them. Thanks for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." I can't wait to see what you'll share this week. :-) http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2014/03/try-new-recipe-tuesday-march-11.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! Thanks so much for sharing on The HomeAcre Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look delicious ! This is the second recipe I came across through the link up that has made my mouth water but I can't try because I 'm allergic to oats.I have a sad face now! Oh well but they do look yummy!

    Kim from This Ole Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kim I am so sorry.... they taste awful I promise LOL

      Delete
  15. Doh! Why did i never think of this? Turned out perfect! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete