Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Homestead Tips on Tuesday: Getting Organized

The one thing about homesteading you can always count on, is that there is something that NEEDS to be or that you want to get done. Sometimes you feel like your going in so many different directions it can be overwhelming! That is why you should get organized….. No, I don’t mean your house should look like a museum, or that you know where everything is…. I mean set your plans to paper!

Writing things down not only makes them more “real” but if you keep a binder, it will also keep you accountable. I write down projects that need to get done, I plan meals, I put things on a calendar. Once you write it down, you don’t forget….. It doesn’t slip your mind….. It helps you keep track and actually DO the things you need or want to get done, on time, and with less headache!

For example, meal planning….. I write down what we are going to have on my calendar, I commit. I know, commitment is a scary thing, but necessary. Once I know what I will be making the next couple of weeks, I can make my shopping list and be off. I write each weeks menu on a blackboard in the kitchen so not only can my family see what they are having (and complaining about) in advance, but I know where I am going. Do I need to get bread rising for that night's meal, what meat needs to come out of the freezer….. It makes life calmer when I know where I am going.
Another example is our garden. I know when my last freeze date is (and yes it is marked on the calendar) so I know when I need to get my seeds started indoors. If you don’t get those plants started indoors, well you are already behind when the weather turns nice. Your garden ripens later and you miss out on lots of yummy goodness you could be canning! I belong to the Seeds of the Month Club, so I don’t even have to worry about going out or ordering seeds…. They just show up every month and I add them to my stash for spring. But if I don’t know when to start them indoors…. Well you get the picture…..

But what about other projects around the house? Having a notebook to jot down ideas, material lists, costs and the like, make the projects much more obtainable. I know what I need, I can plan (yes on my calendar) when I want to complete it, and I can save the funds to be ready to pull it off. For example, this is my “TO DO” list for this summer:
  • Repair front steps
  • Replace playroom window
  • Create a play area outside for the youngest country kid
  • Redo the roof on the shed (aka our coop)
  • Paint (hallways, living room, and dining room)
  • Put a new sub floor in the bathroom
  • Fix the roof and floor in the oldest country kids “Man Cave” aka the fort
  • Fix the screen door
  • Expand the garden

WOW!!! Yeah, that is a list!!! But I wrote it down, I made it real. I figured out what I need to complete each job. I am saving funds to get them done. I have them marked on my calendar so I know WHEN I need to do them to stay on track in getting it all done this spring and summer.

Life can be overwhelming…… Things come up…. But if you commit to being a little more organized, you really can accomplish more, yourself. Okay I might hire someone to fix the concrete front steps but I am sure if I put my mind to it I could figure out how to build a form and pour the cement…. But I think my list is long enough…… I need to leave some time to enjoy the summer….. Let me go pencil that in on my calendar!! LOL





**Homestead Tips on Tuesday is a weekly series where we help you learn skills, tips, and trick to help you on your journey of homesteading. Many places post list of things you should/could do as far as homesteading skill, but I feel lists are at times overwhelming and can make people give up before they even start. So every Tuesday I share one thing for you to try or consider. I hope you join us every Tuesday and I would love to hear about your adventures with each weeks topic.**


26 comments:

  1. Wow! That is quite a list! I'm so impressed with people like you. I'm a list maker too but I write my list, then I lose my list, then when I find it I realize that whoa! there's too much on this list and I should re-prioritize {remembering that I lack commitment} so I cross off most of it and then I feel accomplished. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is why my list is in a big black binder that sits next to my computer :)

      Delete
  2. These are great tips! I am a list writer also, I write down anything and everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm all about writing it down. In fact, I've been guilty of adding stuff I just finished to my to-do list just to have the satisfaction of crossing something off. I'm a freak. I embrace it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a huge list writer, one of the reasons I do the weekly link up on Mondays. Without my list of whats going on weekly/daily for the house and the blog I always feel lost and nothing ever gets done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right! When I get overwhelmed with my day, I stop, write a list and then breath!

      Delete
  5. Stopping by from Turn it Up Tuesday. I've wanted to start a homemaking binder for awhile now, I just keep forgetting about the whole idea. Ha, I guess I need to write down my plans for that! Thanks for the tips :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Put sticky notes everywhere to remind yourself!

      Delete
  6. Great tips on getting organized! Life around here recently got turned upside down due to some unforseen circumstances so right now I'm really trying to get things back to normal! I'll have to use some of these tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby steps, one thing at a time. I find it so much easier to get things done when I look long term. I hope you get everything right side back up! ((HUGS))

      Delete
  7. I know I waste a lot of time and energy figuring the meals out. Thanks for the nudge toward making a plan and posting it where I can see it. It doesn't do me any good written in a notebook that I may not open early enough in the day to get the meat thawed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my chalkboard (I got it at Cracker Barrel) and can't thank it enough for helping me get my family fed.

      Delete
  8. Your meal calender is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel!! I bought it for myself (cause no one ever gives me gift... sad but true) at Cracker Barrel. We were there again last week and they still have them!!

      Delete
  9. I like your organization tips. I find that if I don't write things down I will not remember them. I'm especially bad at meal planning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was bad at it too but having that chalkboard where everyone can see makes me accountable... no more, oh I forgot. LOL

      Delete
  10. I'm surprised how much I can get done when I put aside some time. I have my LONG goal list for the year. I'm working steadily on it, one day at a time. Thanks for sharing with Turn it Up Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your tips, I need that chalk board! Thanks for sharing at The Happiness is Homemade Link Party!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tips on getting organized. I meal plan and find that it saves me money and stress. I need to create a garden notebook. There are things I wish I had wrote down last year. This year, I'll start one. Thanks for linking this up at the Let's Get Real Friday Link Party. I hope you'll join us again this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Nicky! I know what you mean about things I wish I wrote down about my garden last year.... but this year we will all be ready with our notebooks!!!

      Delete