Sunday, February 16, 2014

DIY Mini Greenhouse

The snow is still covering the ground and spring is still a ways away, but the oldest country kid loves to grow things. He is always asking to plant seeds. So when it is too cold outside, what is a mama to do!?!?! I came up with this project..... It is even great for adults! So ask yourself......

You love to plant seeds, right? But do you always remember to water them? And what if your kids knock them over and dirt gets everywhere? Yes, this has happened at our house, more then once. Well none of this need happen again! Make your own mini greenhouse or a bunch of greenhouses for that matter! This is a great craft project and learning experience for kids (hint hint, you can get them to do most of the work if you tell them it is a craft!) All you need is a pop bottle, dirt and seeds.

Start by cutting the bottom of the pop bottle off 1/4 from the bottom. Next place dirt and add seeds. After you water, insert the bottom piece into the remain bottle. (Leave lid on.) Now sit back and wait. The wonderful thing about starting seeds like this is that not only can my son see them grow (including the root system) without touching them all the time, if he does knock them over, it is much easier to save the plant. And I don't have to vacuum up the dirt!

The darn thing is a mini greenhouse and rarely do you need to add water. Simple, fun, educational, and not only do you get to recycle, but you can get a jump start on your garden transplants!!!


22 comments:

  1. Mindie,
    This is adorable. I need to get me seedlings started. I expected to get it done today but it didn't happen. I was too busy trying to figure out how to stop my backyard chickens from pecking at each other.
    Annamaria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it isn't one thing it is another with having critters! LOL

      Delete
  2. I should try this with my kids. They love to grow things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so simple and such a floor saver LOL

      Delete
  3. Barely have to water, eh? I wonder if this would help me be less of a plant murderer. I really would love to get my seedlings started indoors this year but I'm very easily distracted when it comes to things like watering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish the oldest country kid didn't water so much!!! LOL This helps keep him from over watering the plants.

      Delete
  4. That is how I grow my tomatoes in the winter! Then in the summer I transplant them outside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was great! Please come share this post at Green Thumb Thursday blog hop tomorrow. The link if for last weeks so you can check it out! http://homesteadlady.com/green-thumb-thursday-21314/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not only great way to start your spring plants, but would be fun for the kids to watch and learn! Thanks for linking to Turn it up Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My oldest really does love these. It is amazing how year after year, the excitment of growing never fades.

      Delete
  7. Love the idea!! I will have to try with my little one so he can learn about where his food comes from!

    Jessica
    The Wondering Brain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing the roots is really fun (and educational, shhh)

      Delete
  8. thanks for linking this up with us for MMM link up party!I love this idea! I have 2 little kids who would love to do this, and maybe I could get my tomatoes started early!lol! I hope you come back on Monday and link up another great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't miss it. And get those tomatoes going!

      Delete
  9. Looks like a great way to start your garden! I featured you on Mom's Library this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dovrei provare questo con i miei genitori . Amano coltivare le cose!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing valuable information. Nice post. I enjoyed reading this post. The whole blog is very nice found some good stuff and good information here Thanks..Also visit my page spray nozzles If you have any questions or if you need additional assistance, please feel free to contact us at anytime!

    ReplyDelete

Print