Sunday, October 27, 2013

Goodbye Grandpa..........

We knew the day was coming. We knew it would be soon. So when my hubby informed me my grandfather had passed that morning I did not cry. My grandfather was 92 and had lived a good long life. I was relieved that the last few months of his life which had been filled with decline in health were finally over and he was at peace. Maybe that is weird of me to think that way but I have had to deal with so much death in my life..... but this is not about that, this is about a great man.

My grandfather was a WWII veteran. He fought for his country and for that I will always be thankful and proud. He is the reason I have taught my children to always go up to veterans and shake their hand and tell them thank you for their service.

My grandfather was a hard working man. Among his many "jobs" he worked the land. I will always remember his garden.... As a child, his garden seemed to be the biggest thing ever, as far as the eye could see. I remember helping to dig tators and snapping beans. I remember his basement filled with beautiful jars full of the produce he had grown. I remember how he would help the neighbors on their farms, driving tractor and hauling produce to market.

Yes, that is me in the red shirt
with my belly hanging out
I remember he taught me how to make fudge. And he would always let me sneak extra cookies out of the cookie jar when my grandmother was not around. I remember his finger tips stained black from cracking walnuts. Oh how I loved using those nuts in my baking. I remember hanging off the tailgate of a pick up truck, holding on for dear life to the leg of a snapping turtle so we could get it back to his house... he loved turtle soup.  I remember his garage, filled with cigar boxes, home to nails and screw. To me those cigar boxes were magical with their artwork... like a treasure box. Oh how my grandfather enjoy his cigars!

I also remember he had a mean middle finger. No he didn't use it the way you might think.... he poked people with it. To him it was a game but as a child I remember how hard he used to poke! And it was that poke that my oldest son will always remember. With age his poke was not as strong and it was a game my son loved to play with him. To my children, he was Grandpa Pokie Finger.

Why am I sharing all of this.... because I can! LOL My grandfather was a great man.... he may not have reinvented the world, but he set the stage for my life.....  of growing, baking, living with the land and for that, I thank him.

23 comments:

  1. My condolences to you...that is an awesome story ..your Grandfather was an awesome man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so very sorry for your loss. I lost my Grandad 10 years ago, he was an awesome man too xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meredith/GreenCircleGroveOctober 27, 2013 at 5:30 PM

    Lovely tribute, MIndie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a loving and heartfelt tribute. Grandfathers are so grand aren't they.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He sounds like a men that will be really missed. sorry for your lost.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry to hear about your loss hun but I do understand what you are saying! Thank you so much for sharing part of his awesome life with us, have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great memories! Sorry for your loss!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most beautiful and I am thankful you cherish these memories. I hope your country kids will grow up to love me as much. Thank you from my heart. Papa

    ReplyDelete
  9. What great memories you have to help you through this sad time. Peace be with you and your family.


    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful tribute to your grandfather. My last one has been gone since 1995. So sorry for your loss but glad he's at peace. Thanks for sharing. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry for the passing of your Grandfather! You were truly blessed to have someone sooo special in your life,and just think of the great family reunion you will have one day when you see everyone again! Thanks for sharing. Midge

    ReplyDelete
  12. What beautiful memories to have Mindie. My grandmother inspired me in much the same way.I lost her last year. Mu condolences to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing your memories of your precious grandfather with us. He seems like he was a very dear man and was a great blessing in your life.

    ~ Cassandra @ Renaissance Women
    Visiting via Inspire Me Monday

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry for your loss-I lost my grandaddy a year ago in August. I'll always remember him as the person who taught us the love of the beach-fishing, crabbing, and floating on the waves!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so lucky to have known your grandfather. Both of my grandfathers, also WWII veterans, died before I was born, one of whom I have never even seen a photo of because he died when my father was just a boy. You should consider yourself quite blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful memory and dedication to your grandpa! It is not the normal thing we share on a linky party like Share Your Stuff Tuesday, but I found you there, and I'm glad you shared. Your memories of your grandpa have touched me. I appreciate his service and I can tell that he was a great man by the way he influenced your life. He sounds a lot like my grandma! Thanks for sharing and giving me the opportunity to have a glimpse into his life, and for reminding me of my grandparents as well! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry for your loss but he is in a better place. As a service member i am very proud for his service too. People like him paved the way and set an example for those of us now serving.

    Marie Angelique

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful memory and tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm sorry for our loss. Thank you for the wonderful tribute to your Grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Rural EconomistNovember 9, 2013 at 9:49 PM

    This was perfect for today. I spent the morning with my granddad grinding corn meal. I am sure he is proud that you honor him in this way. Thank you for sharing this on Rural Wisdom and Know How, it brought a tear to my eye and that is not very easy to do. I hope to hear from you again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry for you loss.
    Grandfathers are the best!!
    Thanks for sharing at the HomeAcre Hop!
    Sandra
    http://www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com

    ReplyDelete