Monday, September 9, 2013

Mindful Meat Monday

 
I am sure by now many of you have heard of "Meatless Monday" which is campaign that encourages people to not eat meat on Mondays to "improve their health and the health of the planet" (aka to lessen animal cruelty.) While that is a sweet thing to do, to make people feel better about themselves, it doesn't really address the real problems with consuming store bought factory farm meat. Because on Tuesday, that steak those Meatless Monday folks cut into, still comes from the same place as the meat they didn't eat on Monday. So what is the consumer to do if Meatless Monday is in my opinion, just a feel good movement that does not really help your health or the planet (animals)? I say educate yourself and try something better.... Mindful Meat Monday.

What is that you ask? Well it is part of the Ethical Omnivore Movement that asks people not to give up their meat, but to know their meat. I mean really know their meat. Where does it come from? Is it factory farm raised or the farmer down the road who raises the animals in pastures eating good quality food, with love and care.  Being mindful of  the food you put into your mouth, to me, does much more for this world then taking a day of from eating crap only to go back to eating that crap a day later. Meat is not bad, there are humane options for meat, which is your local farmer, or *gasp* you raising the animals yourself!

 Yes, we are planning on raising our own meat chickens after we found out the USDA plans to let chickens be slaughtered and shipped to china to be processed and then sent back to the States with no labels letting the consumer know where that bird has been. Instead of supporting a system where the chickens spend their short lives in cages, ours will free range, hunt bugs, and be raised with love. And isn't that better not only for the animal, but for my family's health?

While we can't raise a pig or a cow, we have found local friends and farmers who can. We know where "our" pig is and how it is being raised. We know the farm "our" cow was born on and where it is going to be raised. While it does make me a little sad to know a life will be given so my family can eat, it also makes my heart happy to know these animals will have good lives before that day comes. And I believe it is good to be a little sad at the loss of an animal life, because it means I respect my food. I am conscious of and respect the process. I think before wasting even an ounce. Maybe if more people were connected with their food supply, instead of thinking animals just come in prepackaged, cellophane wrapped packages, more people would honestly care..... be more mindful.

If you don't want to know your meat as much as we do there are other options.....

Choose free-range meat where animals graze in pastures. Local farmer's markets are a great source of these meats. Talk to the vendors, learn their practices, enjoy making a new friend and tasting quality meat. You the consumer, have the power to use your dollars to make a impact with each meal, not just with meat but with everything you put on your table. The key to everything in life is to be mindful of what your doing and the impact that it has. And that my friends is why MY family chooses Mindful Meat Monday! and Tuesday and Wednesday.... well you get the point. Be mindful everyday, in every way.


9 comments:

  1. I practice Meatless Monday; in fact, I practice meatless every day. I'm vegan, and don't believe humans have the right to take any animal's life for our own enjoyment, especially when it's not necessary for our health; in fact, it's harmful. Mindful Meat Monday, to me, just means you give the animal a name and a better life, but in the end you are still planning to kill it and eat it. Omnivores CAN eat anything, but they don't have to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, everyone is allowed to make their own choices. But to say people eat meat for their own "enjoyment" makes it sound like omnivores are self serving individuals who have no heart, which to me is just kind of, well rude. Humans are omnivores as are many animals. We have the teeth we do, for consuming the things we do. Mindful Meat Monday is not just naming an animal and giving it a better life, it is about being a responsible comsumer. It is about owning the fact that a life will be taken and going about it with respect. If not eating meat is your personal choice, for what ever reason, more power to you, but that does not give you the right to tell others that what that do is wrong. Providing a quality life for an animal is not wrong. Meat is not harmful to your health. Nuff said.

      Delete
    2. Deb... I do eat meat for enjoyment, absolutely.. but that joy does not come from the giddy delight I get from riding a roller coaster.. it comes from the enjoyment of optimal OMNIVORE health. There is nothing ethical about destroying ones (which I did as a vegan) health eating counter to our biological requirements for the sake of some misguided moral fanaticism. Veganism is a first world affliction that sees a lot of blood on the partakers hands don't kid yourself. Furthermore not only is the grain, corn and soy you replace ethical, nutrient dense, humanely raised pasture animals with.. counter to what a human can biologically tolerate nutritionally.. it is a detriment to the monocropped land it is planted upon. Your imported quinoa and coconut and palm products.. to name a few do nothing to support local economy and have a huge environmental impact in the big picture for the foreign lands they come from. The Ethical Omnivore Movement I founded addresses so much more than the narrow sighted vegan utopia you speak of. Eat however you want but please do not purpose to know a thing about what it is we stand for until you take your propaganda colored blindfold off.

      Delete
  2. That's a wonderful choice to have, yes? If someone chooses to eat meat, though, let it be in the most beneficial way possible, for the animal, for our home, for our bodies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up on a farm. I remember my little tiny 100 pound grandma,grabbing a chicken by the feet, plopping it down on a stump, and CHOP! Off went its head, we kids plucked it, learned about all its body parts, and in the roaster it went! I would not want to partake in this today as a grown up. But.. I still love chicken! I loved rasing animals on the farm, chickens running all over the place, and the baby calves we raised on buckets. We took good care of our animals, they had good lives, and then yes, a lot of them we ate. I loved being a farm kid, too bad more of us cant be. Learn much about life.
    But the food in the grocery stores..well a lot of it is questionable at best. I agree....pay more attention to the stuff we throw in our carts, and on our plates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a hard time as a kid when my folks butched chickens but as I have grown up I realize, life isn't always pretty even when your doing what's right. I think it is good for kids to know that connection to their food. And while our kids will not be watching, they understand the circle of life.

      Delete
  4. This is wonderful and I agree with you 100%. If you are going to eat meat, you should know where it comes from and how it is treated and ideally, you should be willing to watch it be butchered or butcher it yourself!

    Thanks so much for sharing on the Independence Days Challenge, hope to see you back with more posts tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks, this is amazing meat and it is very delicious as it looks. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete

Print