Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Hubby's Awesome Baklava

The other night, my hubby surprised us all with dessert. We don't normally have such things! LOL He whipped up some yummy baklava. It was so yummy, the youngest country kid (1 1/2 years old) went so far as to sneak a second piece! So How do you make this yummy creation? Well this is how, according to my hubby.....


Ingredients

1 16 oz pack phillo dough
1 lb chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon cinnamon 
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup honey
Half of a fresh squeezed lemon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup unsalted butter
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Get out a 9x13 pan. Toss the chopped walnuts and cinnamon together in a bowl. If the phillo dough is not in two separate rolls, cut in half. Put down one layer of dough and brush with the melted butter repeat this 10 times. Then take one third of the walnuts and spread on top.

Make three more layers of dough, buttering each layer and add another layer of walnuts.Make three more layers of dough (don't forget to butter) and add the rest of the walnuts. Make 10 more layers of dough on top, buttering each layer. Yes, there is a lot of buttering going on!

BEFORE you bake your baklava, slice into small squares and put in oven. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes (until the top is nice and brown.) While the baklava is baking, take the water, sugar, honey, vanilla, squeeze lemon juice and nutmeg and bring to a boil in a saucepan. Boil till sugar melts and then remove from heat let cool.
When the baklava is done, pour the syrup you made in your saucepan over the top of the baklava. Put the baklava in the refrigerator and allow it to to cool for at least 3 hours. This will give it time to absorb all that yummy syrup!

Now if you are like us..... you just eat the baklava! But if you want to serve these at a special occasion or just add a touch of "finery," You can put each piece in a muffin paper! (The ones you use to line the tins when you bake.)




46 comments:

  1. Mmmm...that sounds (and looks) delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm salivating reading this! Thank you for sharing this recipe with Fabulously Frugal Thursday.

    One quick question - can you vary the nuts? I'm not sure what traditional baklava uses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walnuts and pistachio are traditional but you can use what ever you want! Like cashew or maybe macadamias.

      Delete
  3. Looks WONDERFUL! Thanks for sharing the gorgeous photos and recipe. Will definitely give your hubby's recipe a try!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This scrumptious dessert is our Spotlight of the Week! Congratulations and thanks for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    http://www.flourmewithlove.com/2013/08/featuring-you_21.html#more

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness that looks delicious!! Thank you for coming by today, I appreciate it!!
    Wishing you a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum Yum Yum!!! Thanks so much for linking up to “Tuesdays with a Twist” blog hop!
    Angie
    godsgrowinggarden.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't had baklava in YEARS!!! Tell the hubster "great job!". I'm super jealous right now. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks AMAZING!
    Linda
    mysewwhatblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not sure what I love more, how delicious this recipe looks or the fact that your husband surprised the family with it.
    Thanks for sharing at The Weekend Social #19
    Ricki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say that hubby made it! LOL I love to bake but it is nice to get something yummy when you didn't have to do all the work!

      Delete
  10. This looks so good! I love baklava. We use to have it for dessert at a Greek restaurant in Tarpon Springs, FL when we would visit my grandparents. I always have great memories coming flooding back when I eat it! Can't wait to give it try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just think, if you can make it at home, when ever you need a warm memory, just bake!

      Delete
    2. And my husband isn't a fan of it, so more for me :)

      Delete
  11. Ohhhh I love fresh baklava! now I can make my own - any time, all the time!! and then eat it all myself! woot! Ok I might share :) Thank you for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks like something I could actually do. And my whole family LOVES that wonderful greek stuff I can't spell!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a surprise of the good kind! It looks delicious! I love how golden brown and crispy the phyllo looks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Visiting from Weekend ReTreat- this looks amazing! Thx for sharing the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks delicious! I wish my husband would surprise me with such a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love baklava, but have never made it! Oh, I wish my hubby would make me some! I guess I better make my own!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks delicious! I never thought of making Baklava at home but now that you have shared the recipe, may be I should try.

    Thanks for partying with us at WUW.

    Party co-host,
    Tanya
    http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know what you can pull of if you don't try! You can do this :)

      Delete
  18. I LOVE baklava! Your pictures look fantastic!! I've never tried making it myself, but it doesn't sound too difficult! Thanks for linking up with us at Your Turn To Shine, Mindie!! I hope you'll join us again on Thursday! -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  19. How wonderful that your hubby made you this delicious treat. We used to eat bakalva when we were young. We had a neighbor who was from Greece and she was always willing to share. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop. Watch fro your feature on Monday xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And just think, now you can be the neighbor that makes it and shares!

      Delete
  20. looks really yummy! I love baklava but I don't love making it! My best friend made it for my guests at my wedding and everyone loved it! It is also considered a "wedding treat" here in Greece. First time here, stopping by from My crafty spot Sunday link up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you popped by. I hope you enjoy looking around. Baklava is a little time consuming but not that hard. Where we live it is not readily available, so it is make your own or miss out.

      Delete
  21. Looks amazing!! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! Your recipe has been pinned to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! Please join us again this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't miss it! Thanks for popping by and pinning. Hope you get the chance to whip some up!

      Delete
  22. This sound delicious! My mom loves baklava, but neither one of us ever seem to take the time to make it. Thanks for linking up with us this week at Your Turn to Shine. I hope you can join in again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While it take some time, it is sooooo worth it. :)

      Delete
  23. All the ingredients in this dessert make my mouth water. Thanks for sharing at #theWeekendSocial. I always love your recipes. Hope to see you again Thursday 9:00 PM EST. Pinned. http://www.theKitchenChopper.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love baklava!! It's crack to me. This looks fabulous! I can't wait to try it. Thanks for linking up with #FoodieFridays!
    Christie
    http://akitchenhoor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well then I am glad to help your addiction!

      Delete
  25. Yum. Your baklava looks heavenly!

    http://makingmemorieswithyourkids.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anyway to make a diabetic friendly version?

    ReplyDelete

Print