Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Country Kid Chocolate Chip Scones

Okay, when I say scones.... what pops into your head? For me it is a British accent and the thought of tea. Don't ask me why, because I have no clue! I do however remember the first time I ever had one... I was working in my first of many museum jobs and there was a little bakery that opened in an old church across the road from us. I popped in and was like "what the heck is that!?!?!" And upon my first taste, I was hooked. I must admit though, I haven't had one in years and I had never made them before, so I have no idea WHY I woke this morning and thought, "Gee I should make scones with the boys."

So I did what any great baker does, I found a recipe online and quickly realised while putting it together, adjustments HAD to be made. More chocolate of course... I mean they are chocolate chip scones! But as we made them we quickly realized they needed MUCH more flour. How did I know this? Well you see as the oldest country kid (7) was going "when can we cut them out" over and over again, the youngest country kid (1 1/2) decided to drop trow, remove his diaper and sprint through the kitchen. How did this make me realize we needed more flour? Well because I was stuck to the counter with a sloppy mess that should have been my dough. So after scraping my hands (and the counter) I threw it back in the bowl.... washed my hands.... chased down the naked boy, returned a small amount of modesty to my home and then washed my hands again (there was a lot of hand washing going on) and slowly started to add more flour in till I could easily remove my hand from the dough and not be stuck like a mouse on a live trap.


Cutting in the butter

So here is the recipe that I ended up with after all the fun. Now keep in mind the flour is approximated as I just had to add more and more till I could detach myself from it!

3 1/2 to 4 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter, cold, cut into pieces
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (we chopped ours up in the blender)
4 eggs
1/2 cup milk

Adding in the chopped up chips

Mix together 3 1/2 cups flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Next you want to "cut in" the butter. At this point it should have been crumbly but ours wasn't totally crumbly. Either the butter wasn't chilled enough or maybe I should not have let the oldest country kid cut in the butter!

We then added the eggs, milk and chocolate chips and mixed it together. The recipe SAID to kneed it a little but sadly it was to sticky. This is when we started to add more flour in. You can use your judgement as you go to when you have enough flour because you will stop sticking to it! I then patted it to about 1/4 inch on a floured board (I tried a rolling pin but alas, to sticky) and began to cut out the scones, which we placed on a greased pan and then baked at 425 degrees for about 12 minutes.

We used a biscuit cutter

I am happy to report that after all the "drama" during the making of these scones, the scones did turn out edible!!! The oldest Country kid downed two and is still begging for another! The youngest country kid would take a bite, giggle and spin in a circle! I would say that is approval!!!! While is was an adventure to get to the finished projected, I would have to say it was a total success. We spent time together in the kitchen, learning how to improvise and got to enjoy the rewards of our labors. All and all, I would say THAT makes for a good time!!











8 comments:

  1. You have to be so careful with online recipes, many have not had the rigorous testing that is required to be included in a professional book. I love that you knew how to improvise. It looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it is always a gamble to try something you have found online, but that is half the fun. I would say most of the recipes I try have to be tweeked a little. I love to improves..... it makes you more creative (and keeps my old brain going! LOL)

      Delete
  2. Oooh, chocolate chip scones sound SO good! Thanks for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." I hope you will be able to join us again this week. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopping here from What To Do Weekends. I love scones. Time to make some. Yummy!

    Marie @ http://123craftcafe.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chocolate chip anything makes me happy so I know I'd like these! Thanks for sharing at Food on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Chocolate chips make everything better! :)

      Delete
  5. Happy Friday! I just wanted to let you know your delicious recipe is one of my featured favorites from last week's Get Him Fed party! You are welcome to come grab a featured button and join the party again. Congrats! :)

    {TheBakingFairy.net}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously!?!? My 7 year old son will be totally excited when I tell him!

      Delete

Print