Thursday, May 16, 2013

Alaskan Sourdough Pancakes

One of the best parts of making your own sourdough starter is the wide variety of things you can make with it, like bread and pancakes. Yes, I said pancakes!

When I posted on my Facebook page that I was making a sourdough starter, one of my followers, Wendla, offered to share with me her Alaskan sourdough pancake recipe. My husband, who had been a Alaskan fisherman for a spell before we met, was so excited. I am soooooooo thankful Wendla shared her recipe because it was beyond amazing! Like no other pancake I have ever had and my husband got to enjoy a long lost favorite food.

Ingredients
2 Cups Sourdough starter
1 1/2 Cups Flour
2 Cups very warm water

The night before take 2 cups of your sourdough starter and add 1 and 1/2 cups of flour and 2 cups of very warm water to "feed" the starter. Let it sit over night in a warm place. In the morning before you start making your pancakes, divide the mix in half and put one half back in your starter container. To the remaining half add:

1 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
2 t. sugar 
A pinch of salt

At this point Wendla told me "an interesting reaction will occur." Boy did it! There was a little bit of chemical reaction going on in that bowl!!! Once that little event occurs, it is time to mix in 2 beaten eggs and 4 T. of melted butter.

Now that the batter is ready it is time to cook those bad boys up in a hot greased pan, we use cast iron. She had warned up that "some of the time they may be flat and thin and sometimes they may be fluffy but they'll always be good." And she was soooooo right. We feasted like royalty on these sourdough pancakes, with our homemade butter and homemade maple syrup. I am already thinking of what else we can top them with (like blueberries or powdered sugar and lemon juice) because sourdough pancakes are now permanently on the menu around here!!

 

7 comments:

  1. Good gracious ... all of these wonderful recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet they are the fluffiest things going. I've been doing up so many strawberries, I'm thinking strawberry syrup. Thanks for sharing at the HomeAcre Hop. Please come back and see us this week: http://everythinghomewithcarol.com/the-self-sufficient-homeacre-hop-2/

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look SO good! I can't wait to try them. Thanks so much for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." I hope you will be able to join us again this week. :-) http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2013/10/try-new-tuesday-october-29.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pinned these. Makes me want to get a sourdough starter going again! Thanks for sharing at Real Food Fridays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to get another one started too but it's too cold. We lost ours a few weeks ago due to well me forgetting about it! LOL

      Delete
  5. Oh my that is awesome, I guess this is another fermentation I need to start making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sourdough is so easy and so is the starter... no out of pocket cost when you collect your own wild yeast.

      Delete