Friday, January 25, 2013

Duct tape, duck tape, HVAC heat tape

Recently we had a MAJOR scare when I smelled gas in our house. My youngest (11 months old) and I had to evacuate the house! Lucky for us (because it is freezing out) our neighbor let us stay with her. After having the power company come out and a long day of repairs we were able to go back home. Some of those repairs I even did myself! I was very proud of myself for tearing out and installing all new vent pipe for our hot water heater and furnace. Not only was I capable but saved money doing it myself. I was so proud of what I had done I put this photo on my Facebook page. I wanted to show people that they can do things themselves.

Little did I know, that simple act of uploading a proud moment would turn into even more emotional drama for me that day! I had one woman, just one, who not once or twice, but over and over, posted how I had used duct tape not HVAC heat tape. She spouted how she had done so much MORE then this, so she knew. She was rude and really made me angry, because I KNEW what I had used. I even posted a close up photo of the roll of tape and she still told me I was just using designer duct tape. I have never blocked someone from my Facebook page but when someone was as rude and disrespectful as she was, I had no choice for my own emotional well being.

You can imagine by the end of the day how upset I was! How emotionally drained I was. That is until my friends and Facebook followers turned my "drama" into the best giggle ever!

The topic of duct and duck tape have been all the rage now. People sending me photos and links trying to cheer me up. And you know what, it worked. It worked so well it got me thinking even more about tape. So I thought I would share some of what I found with you all.

This is the definition of duct tape from Wikipedia:

Duct tape, or duck tape, is cloth- or scrim-backed pressure sensitive tape often coated with polyethylene. There are a variety of constructions using different backings and adhesives. One variation is gaffer tape designed to be cleanly removed, while duct tape is not. Another variation is heat-resistant duct tape useful for sealing heating and ventilation (HVAC) ducts, produced because standard duct tape fails quickly when used on heating ducts. Duct tape is generally gray or black but also available in other colors.

In 1942 Revolite, then a division of Johnson & Johnson, originally developed an adhesive tape made from a rubber-based adhesive applied to a durable duck cloth backing. This tape resisted water and was used as sealing tape on ammunition cases during World War II.

And yes you can say duck tape because, Duck tape is a brand of duct tape. Got to love those homophones! So what do you do with it all? Well if your handy, LOTS of really cool thing! If your a "Prepper" or survivalist here is a great piece on 25 Practical Survival Uses for Duct Tape. They have everything from making a cup to a butterfly bandage! You can get real MacGyver-ish with this stuff!

Are you crafty? Well then the world is your oyster when you have designer colored duck tape. The Duck tape brand has a whole section on their website called ducktivites that walks you through making some truly amazing things! Clothes, crafts, decorations, everything!!!!

But it doesn't end there folks, oh no! The company even has a $5000 scholarship contest were student compete by making their PROM outfits out of duck tape! Now we once made a vest out of a T-shirt and duck tape but nothing like this! Whom ever designed and crafted the 2012 grand prize winning prom outfits should have a bright future in fashion!

So what have I learned through all of this? Well, that even though I didn't use duct tape in my repairs, duct tape is really useful and can be a lot of fun!







9 comments:

  1. I followed the drama on FB and had a giggle to myself, I even researched it as others did. And we knew you were right, then we laughed again.

    Glad everyone in your house was saved by your quick thinking :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just KNEW you would turn this into a blessing, Mindie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just feel sorry for the rude poster...obviously she can't read (your photo or otherwise). Some people have nothing better to do with their lives...must not have livestock or she would have little time to aggravate others! Looks like you "did good" Mindie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess some people just live for drama.

      Delete
  4. I think what you did is a perfect example of "getting lemons and making lemonade" great job all the way around Mindie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your support ((HUGS))

      Delete


  5. The winter time can bring brutal weather. Especially in your part of the country. That wonderful that you got
    a new furnace. I bet your house is all warm and toasty now.

    air conditionin
    air conditioner
    ac air conditioning
    furnace
    hvac

    ReplyDelete

Print