Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Cinnamon “gingerbread” ornaments


Holidays are such a busy time. So much to do, so little time. Do your really want to take on another craft with the kids? Yes, yes you do. This is very easy, really doesn’t take much time (other then in the oven) and will give you memories, heirlooms and maybe a gift or two for others at the end!
I had found this recipe for these cinnamon “gingerbread” ornaments online. It was simple enough and she did make suggestions to tweak the recipe as it was something she had found online. So here is OUR experience making cinnamon “gingerbread” ornaments.

Ingredients:

One cup salt
Two cups flour
10 tsp cinnamon (she used 5 tsp but said she wished she had doubled it so I did)
3/4 cup-ish water
1 Tbs of brown sugar (my personal addition, I’ll explain later)

So while my son was at school I combined the salt, flour and cinnamon in a bowl. I added water till the dough was not too dry, not too wet. It is a personal thing. If you have ever baked before you know you do it by feeling not numbers. When I looked at the dough, I thought it looked awful light for “gingerbread.” When I went back online and looked at her photos, well that is when I decided to go rough and add a pinch (about a tablespoon) of brown sugar to darken the mix. I am so glad I did.

When my son got home, he was more then excited and could hardly wait till after dinner to make the ornaments. I simply rolled out the dough that had been chilling in the refrigerator, like when you make sugar cookies. He quickly got to cutting out shapes with some holiday cookie cutters we had picked up at a dollar store. We got just over 2 dozen ornaments from this amount of dough including two “free style” ones I made of our infant son’s foot impression!

We used a drinking straw to poke holes in each ornament for hangers. We placed the ornaments on wax paper on a cookie sheet and I am glad we did. The ornaments stuck a bit to the paper, which is better then the pan. Then it was a trip to the oven at 325 degrees for about 50 minutes. The article I read said an hour, but as we all know, every stove is different, so use your judgment.

Once the ornaments cooled we used a kabob stick to help push the ribbon through the holes and glued the ends together. We also used twine to give a more rustic look! Now I don’t know if adding in the extra cinnamon made the recipe better or not. Our house still smells great, but my nose is so cinnamon-ie I can’t tell if it is the ornaments or my house! Either way, we had a wonderful time, they look amazing on the tree and his teacher will be getting a one of a kind gift!

My favorite one.....

 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Really cute, Mindie. My grandchildren will love this! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son had a wonderful time making them. I hope you and your grandchildren do too!

      Delete
  2. These are great! My children would love to make these! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They smell so good..... you will be impressed next year when you upwrap them to hang them.... it will bring back all the memories of making them with you children.

      Delete

Print