Saturday, November 3, 2012

Our "pet" squirrel

Meet Sid. No we do not own Sid, but he is part of our family. How, might you ask, does a red squirrel become part of someone’s family? Well it is a tale that started some time ago……

One day my son, who had just turned five, told me I had mail. It was a game he liked to play were he would put things in the mailbox for me. That day I found a white plastic bag. When I opened it, I was not expecting the thing inside to be LOOKING back at me! To read the whole story of how Sid came to be with us click here.

Obviously Sid survived and we let him go. Over the last year we have delighted watching Sid (or Sidney) fall in love and raise a family. We talk to Sid when we see him. We enjoy watching Sid and his family on their daily routines. Sid, and his family, have become members of our extended family.

Fall is now here and the weather is turning cold. Sid has taken up a new home in our neighbors broken concrete front steps (they never use the front door.) We see him on a daily bases darting in and out carrying walnuts and leaves as he prepares for the winter ahead. And that got us thinking… what does it look like inside those steps? My husband wants to get one of those plumber cams and look, but I just think it is more fun to imagine. I am sure besides nuts and leaves he has a full set up, beautiful hardwood floors, maybe a nice fireplace. Will he set up a Christmas tree? LOL Most likely not, but it is fun to imagine his little hidden world.

It is amazing how a chance meeting with a member of nature can become such a part of one’s life!



 

4 comments:

  1. Lol, nature pets. We had 4 squirrels we used to feed from the bird feeder and named each one after one of the Beatles. But we had to give that up after the horse (we let her run loose around the yard) decided she wanted to eat from the feeder too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Yes, I would bet the horse ate wayyyyy more then 4 little squirrels!

      Delete
  2. I wish I could send you a picture I took today, its a black squirrel, has you're soon ever seen a black one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have black and grey around here too. I have even seen white ones on vacation once!

      Delete

Print